Saturday, April 26, 2014

some random thoughts that ended up getting kind of deep

Last night I met my mom at the University of Utah to attend an awards dinner for outstanding fine arts teachers and schools that have integrated the arts into their curriculum. While there, I saw a friend of one of the men I used to date pre-Eric. I can't remember his name, but we doubled with him and his wife, and I held their little son on more than one occasion. He wasn't sitting by any Logan-ites that I recognized though, so I couldn't quite place him for awhile. It got me thinking about some of the different experiences I've had in life--experiences that at the time I didn't thoroughly enjoy or appreciate, but that now I can see provided lessons, muscles, and richness.

The next morning, I was browsing around and discovered that there was a Sweet Tooth Fairy a mere three minutes away from where I was staying. So, on my way out of town, I stopped by for a cupcake. Generally I feel that cupcakes are overpriced for the amount of fabulousness that you get from them (I'm more of a cookie or English Scone girl myself), but they had a nutella crepe cupcake there that was to die for. Apparently the owner of the franchise won Cupcake Wars a few years back with that very cupcake, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it was so so yumm. Anyway, it's a good thing we don't have a Sweet Tooth Fairy in Cache Valley-both for my pocket and for my waistline.

I read today that the singer of Neon Trees (mom--they're a popular rock band made up of four Mormons (returned missionaries even) that essentially got their start in Provo, although all the members are California natives), has come out gay, and says that he has known that he's been gay since he was six years old. He hasn't renounced the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints though, and apparently those two facts together have generated a fair amount of attention, curiosity, and discussion.

Over the past few years, I've pondered and prayed over many of the whys and hows and whens having to do with gayness, but it's a heated topic, one that is personally charged in a variety of ways for people that I love, so I don't want to inadvertently hurt any of those people by writing some careless words here.

I will say that I've come to two pretty firm conclusions at this point however. First--when I was twenty-four years old, a man that I sustain as a Prophet of God proclaimed in a very official manner that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God. That Prophet has since passed away, but his successor has not revoked this proclamation. In light of that, I can only assume that God continues to recognize marriage as being between a woman and a man and no other combination of participants is acceptable to Him at this time. This is an unpopular view, and I imagine that it will get more and more unpopular as time goes on, which may place me in some difficult positions at times. Still, regardless of what happens here on earth, I believe in an eternal life, an eternal world, an eternal God. I also believe that Thomas S. Monson is God's Prophet on earth today, and that He speaks for God on this point. So, I will stand with the Prophet. I feel like anything else would be short-sighted, foolish, and dangerous, and I'll choose unpopular over any of those other three any day.

Second, as I've prayed, I've been reminded about times in my life when I've been judged, had assumptions made about me, and at times received harsh or thoughtless words and actions based on those judgments and assumptions, all by people who didn't know me on the inside, didn't understand my situation, hadn't taken the time to truly know me, and thus weren't in any kind of a position to make any kind of a fair assessment or judgement of me in these areas.  Those are unpleasant memories, fraught with frustration, and laced with bits of sorrow and anger as well. Knowing that, and realizing that of all the gay people I know, there are none that have opened up to me in any significant way about their gayness, I'm loathe to make any assumptions or judgments about them or their choices.


 photo ephesians.jpg


 Basically, I feel that unless/until someone makes it my business by confiding in me, it isn't my business at all.




image found here

2 comments:

The Suzzzz said...

Well put, thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Well said, my dear. I am with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...