Monday, December 30, 2013

DIY magnet board (from old cookie sheets) in seven easy steps!

You know the old saying, "Necessity is the mother of invention?"

Truer words were never spoken.

Except in my case, the saying should be something more along the lines of "Motherhood necessitates the development of dormant (and not previously desired) talents."

Okay--so I think we can all agree that quote writing isn't one of my talents--undeveloped or otherwise. 

What I'm trying to express is that I think I my willingness to venture into the "craft world" has increased about one-thousand fold since I became a mother. That isn't to say that I enjoy actually making crafts any more than I used to (I don't), but it is to say that I've found these little adventures into previously under-discovered territory to be a pretty good way to save money and (as long as I don't get too delusional as to what I try to do) end up with some functional and sometimes even fairly pretty items. I give ample credit to the internet for this new development.

Enter my most recent success:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I come from a long line of  "cork board collage" people. What that means is that I currently have a cork board in my kitchen filled with pictures of fun and happiness and silliness. It also means that I had a similar arrangement in each of my college bedrooms, and in the room that I had as a child. It also means that my mother had a similar arrangement in our kitchen as I was growing up, and has one now as well.  It also means that many (if not all my aunts) have a similar arrangement in their home, as did my grandmother.  

So, it came as no surprise to me when Heather wanted to make her own collage (though she calls it a collection) in her own room. Rather than going out and buying a corkboard though, I decided to see about making a magnet board  in-house, using a few old cookie sheets that we had in our attic.  

(Eric had purchased said cookie sheets at our local thrift store to help him in one of his projects, but then found them not as well suited to his needs as he had previously planned.)

I found a pretty basic tutorial here, which I followed. It's not exactly rocket science, but I'll spell it out here anyway:

#1--Find a cookie sheet or two. Make sure that these cookie sheets will actually attract a magnet (not all of them do).

#2--Spray paint the cookie sheet(s).  If you have wimpy fingers, and you have a husband with strong fingers, you might be able to get him to step in and do most of this job for you. Or you could just tuff it out and do it yourself like a big girl (I chose the former. Shocker, I know).

#3--Let the cookie sheets dry completely. This is particularly important, as I learned first-hand.

#4--Drill two small holes on either side of the cookie sheet for hanging purposes. (If you happen to have a hobby-ist husband who received a drill press for Christmas in 2011, this would be an excellent time to put that baby to use, FYI.)

#5--Hang your painted cookie sheet(s) up, using nails in the holes you just drilled.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

#6--Feel free to make some magnets, possibly using buttons if you wish.

#7--Let your daughter know that she now has a place for her collage collection, and bask in the feelings of "good momness" that will flood over you as you experience her gratitude and joy.



Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Trust me, if I can pull this off, anyone can pull this off!






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...