Friday, November 22, 2013

Lions-A jaunt to Illinois, and then back to China

We have a new USoSL member!!



A bit ago, I found a treat in my in-box left to me by my cousin Juliana.  Juliana is the second daughter of my oldest aunt, and as such has been someone I watched for years with the fascination that only a younger cousin can have with a more "grown up" cousin. Getting older equalizes things somewhat, and now instead of me being an awkward shy teenager and her being a classy brilliant newlywed, we are both adults, wives, mothers, professionals, and a bunch of other stuff, putting us on more equal footing generally. It's great of course, but-I'm not gonna lie, feels a little weird sometimes.  Kind of like when I go to lunch with my Aunt Liz, you know? I mean--this woman (Liz, not Juliana) fed me spaghettios and root beer floats when I was six, and now we're chatting like old girlfriends over Diet Cokes and salad? Weird. (Weird, but wonderful.)

Anyway, enough of that random tangent, and on to the treat!

Here's what Juliana has to say about this lion:

I've lived in this town for over four years now, shopping at this hardware store from time to time, and it took me until today to register the fact that there is a stone lion out front. Not as picturesque as Paris or China or San Francisco, but hey, even small Midwestern towns have to have a touch of class. So here you have it, the resident stone lion at the Ace Hardware store in Chatham, Illinois. I think he's quite regal, don't you?

 Yes. Yes, I do think he's quite regal. 
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug 




Next we have several offerings from our China correspondent, Cherie:

I love how this one has a stone elephant alongside the stone lion.That's 'cuz I'm a sucker for stone animals in general I guess.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Lion at Qixia Mountain Scenic Spot, Qixia China


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Huge Lion at the Nanjing Nan (south) railway station, in Nanjing, China
 

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Did you know there was a "Lion Gate Bridge Road" in China?  There is.  This lion was found there.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
And this is the Lion Bridge in Nanjing

This is in front of a restaurant in Nanjing

This guy is on a roof, somewhere in China.

Someday, when I have more spare time than I do now, I may actually sit down and count all the lions that are in the USoSL collection. I'm pretty sure it's quite an impressive number, which honestly, is probably why I'll need to wait until I have MUCH more spare time than I do right now. A small price to pay. Keep 'em coming!!



6 comments:

Harmony said...

Love the Midwest ACE Hardware lion!

Juliana Wallace said...

Ah, my Midwestern lion is in exotic company. Woohoo! And I'm totally with you on the weird but wonderful experiences with the great equalizer of growing up! Cool stuff.

Mom C said...

Diet Coke! You drink Diet Coke?!? My poor example is finally rearing its ugly head! Oh the shame.
Great lions, funny where they turn up.
Have a great Thanksgiving.

Charlotte said...

Mom, I've been drinking Diet Coke guilt-free since fall of 2012, when the church made that statement that it was okay!

I mainly only drink it in certain restaurants though--the ones that will give it to me with a shot of vanilla.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Kami Willis said...

To tell you what a small world it is. The gentleman in the pictures in the plaid blue shirt is my uncle Craig and the lady in the gray jacket is my aunt Susan. They are living in China for a couple of years and Lane and Cherie Sparks have become their good friends.

Charlotte said...

Small world indeed! I'd remembered you writing about your aunt and uncle living in China for awhile, but never even thought about them possibly spending time with Lane & Cherie. How funny!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...