Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Links to helpful sites - food preservation edition

I had this post mostly finished when a dear friend asked me on Sunday for "my" roasted tomato recipe. Kismet! Serendipity! A perfect storm of awesomeness! The blog to the rescue again!

Okay. Back to our scheduled post:

Our tomato garden has been bountiful and delicious this year. In addition, my family members have been generous in sharing their produce as well, which made it so that last Saturday, I had a little cook-fest, getting a bunch of stuff blanched, boiled, shredded, and frozen. Just for kicks, I thought I'd share some of the "helps" that I've found along the way:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
freezing corn--This link from pickyourown.org is my go-to. The tip about putting the ears of corn in a bunt pan, and then slicing the corn that way, letting the kernels fall into the pan?  Genius.




A month or so ago, one of Eric's co-workers sent him home with a bag of shredded zucchini, and a recipe for zucchini bread. Perfect!  We tried the bread, which was Eric's favorite, and then, remembering how my roommate Emily used to make chocolate zucchini bread, I went in search of a recipe for that. I found one here at joyofbaking.com, and tweaked it a bit so that it made more, and was easier for me. This one is Heather's favorite. I can't decide what I like best. I think it's basically the one I am eating at the time.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

zucchini bread--Karen at Cantwell Lumber
1 cup oil
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp B Powder
2 cups grated zucchini
3 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts

Dump in KitchenAid in order listed.  Mix.  Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes in greased loaf pans. Makes two loaves.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

chocolate zucchini bread-Joyofbaking.com, with modifications by me
1 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional, but I like it)
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp B. Powder
3 cups grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups choc chips (or less if you like)

Dump in KitchenAid in order listed.  Mix.  Bake at 350 for 55-65 minutes in greased loaf pans. Makes two loaves.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
This is not a kitchen-aid, in case you are confused. This is a food processor, and it  relates to the next link.
Move along, move along.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

freezing zucchini--My parents sent me home from our annual Cedar City trip with four over-mature zucchini. So, I tried freezing them or the first time ever, using the method described here. With these awesome zucchini bread recipes that I discovered, I'm hoping for a winter of tasty goodness, not to mention go-to treats for neighbors, friends, preschool snack days, etc.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


frozen tomato sauce*--I've already mentioned these instructions for quick tomato sauce for freezing, but it's a staple in my freezer, and so it bears a little repeat.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

My favorite part of the whole thing is this quote from the author, Sofya:

Peeling and seeding don’t belong in my world as I consider myself above seedless tomato sauces, finding them uneconomical, lacking in body and texture, and all-around bourgeois.

Oh yeah baby, Sofya and I are living in pretty much exactly the same world there.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
oven roasted tomatoes--you know I couldn't let this one go, right? Love these. Love these so much I'll probably remind you of this link every year. Heck, maybe every quarter. No pics of this one yet, because the only time I've done it this year is in my mom's house, and I didn't feel like playing photographer. I'm making myself do 12 quarts of tomato sauce (1 for each month) before I allow myself to start on roasted tomatoes. So far I'm up to five, so hopefully soon . . .





*In case you are wondering why I freeze everything and can nearly nothing? When I take into consideration the amount of space a frozen single-meal packet (for our family) takes versus a bottle of what-not (which we may find ourselves struggling to finish before it spoils), we have WAY more freezer space than safe/accessible (read--non-crawl or attic) bottle-storage space. So, wonder no more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...