Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Awesome ALASKA-the wrap-up

An alternate title to this post could be: A whole bunch of pictures in no particular order accompanied by a bunch of words.

 photo IMG_4157.jpg

Many years ago, my paternal grandmother paid for all the Corry children and their spouses to go on an Alaskan Cruise together. To say that my parents came home from that trip happy would be a huge huge understatement. They both enjoyed themselves thoroughly, which, as anyone who is acquainted with my father and his distaste for travel (How is it that I am his daughter?  Oh right, I'm his wife's daughter too.) can testify, that's saying something pretty significant.

 photo IMG_4010.jpg

I think it was at some point during that cruise that my mom decided that one day, she wanted to follow in my grandmother's footsteps (preferably before she became a widow herself) and take all of her children on the very same cruise.

It took her about fifteen or more years to get everything set to go, but finally this year the stars aligned, we were all able to work out our schedules, the tickets were bought, vacation time was obtained, grandparents were asked to watch grandchildren (and they all agreed --bless their hearts) and off we went.

 photo IMG_4101.jpg

 photo IMG_4097.jpg


 photo IMG_4053.jpg

 photo IMG_4159.jpg

 photo IMG_4056.jpg

 photo IMG_4072.jpg

 photo IMG_4079.jpg

 photo IMG_4059.jpg

 photo IMG_4060.jpg





 photo IMG_4173.jpg

 photo IMG_4217.jpg
(This one and the next were taken in Victoria--British Columbia. Not Alaska, but a stop on our itinerary)

 photo IMG_4213.jpg

 photo IMG_4147.jpg

In those 15+ years as we were waiting for everything to work out, my mom never lost sight of that hope. I often wondered why she was so set on an Alaskan Cruise for us all. She never wavered in her desire to do it. Sometimes it looked like it was never going to happen, and during those times she would acknowledge that she wasn't sure whether or not it would ever work out, but she never ever broke down and said, "Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter all that much to me. Let's just scrap it."


 photo IMG_3970.jpg

 photo IMG_4170.jpg

I often wondered why she was so dogged about it all, what was so great about that whole experience for her that made her so committed to sharing it with all of us.

 photo IMG_4146.jpg

 photo IMG_4120.jpg

 photo IMG_4151.jpg


Now I know.

 photo IMG_4103.jpg


So, to my mom (who never gave up), and my dad (who worked hard for years and years and years to put them in a position so that this was even a possibility):


 photo IMG_4158.jpg

 photo IMG_3955.jpg

Thank you, thank you, a million times thank you.






1 comment:

Mom C said...

So very welcome. And thank you for the reliving, it was fun all over again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...