- Just over 20 years ago, I left my beloved Cedar City to serve a mission in California.
- My brother (Robert) had left the previous year for a mission in Russia.
- We got home close to the same time, and then three weeks later, I moved to Logan, making me the child living furthest away from the Cedar City homestead.
- That was short-lived, as within a year or two, another brother (Jacob) left for a mission in Brazil.
- And then Robert moved to Logan.
- And then Robert moved to Wyoming.
- And somewhere in there Jacob came home (and moved to Logan).
- And then Robert moved to Denver.
- And then yet another brother (Mark) left for a mission in Austria.
- And then my sister (Becca) moved to Nebraska.
- And then Mark came home, and somewhere in there Jacob moved to Salt Lake, but since this is all about being the furthest from home and Salt Lake is waaaay closer to Cedar City than Nebraska or Denver or Austria, we don't care so much about that.
- And then my youngest brother (Doug) left for a mission in Brazil.
- And then Jacob moved to Kentucky.
- And then Becca moved to Colorado (but not Denver, where Robert was still living.)
- And then Doug came home.
- And after a few years, Doug moved to Ohio.
- And at some point in there, Mark moved to Salt Lake and then to Springville, but again, we didn't pay all that much attention because we had Ohio and Kentucky to keep us busy, and Springville is practically a suburb of Cedar City when you think of it in comparison to the distance of other areas.
- And then Jacob moved to Washington (the state).
- And then Robert moved back to the promised land of Cedar City.
- And then Jacob moved to Indiana.
- (And then my dad got cancer and we were all really grateful that Robert and ShaLiece had moved back to Cedar City and were there to help out and keep us all in the loop about what was going on.)
- And then Doug moved to Texas.
- And then Jacob moved back to the promised land of Cedar City.
- And then Becca moved to Arizona (Kingman, 4 hours away from Cedar City).
- And then Mark moved back to the promised land of Cedar City.
And then yesterday, Douglas W. Corry DMD became one of the two newest practicing dentists in Cedar City, Utah, and has (obviously) moved back to the promised land!!!
And now, after all these years, I am once again the child living furthest away from the Cedar City homestead.
Ahhh, it feels good to all be so close together again.