Wednesday, April 24, 2013

no sugar, just spice

Did you know that if you don't happen to have Allspice on hand that you can make a pretty good substitution on your own?

Yup.  It's easy too.  Super duper easy.  Just mix together equal parts cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Told you it was easy.

 photo IMG_2377.jpg
This is an old container. I think I've refilled it with my own concoction twice now.


As long as we're talking about spices and seasonings, here's a handy little secret that I love:

 photo IMG_2563.jpg

I sprinkle this on chicken quite a bit as I'm grilling it (we don't have an outdoor grill--I'm talking about the George Foreman here), and it transforms ordinary everyday chicken breasts into mouthfuls of mexican deliciousness. I love it, and Eric loves it. Heather takes it on a day by day case by case basis, but since she's that way with everything except for Kraft Mac 'n Cheese and peanut butter bananas, she doesn't really count.

(I picked this up at the Latin Grocery a couple of years ago, but you might be able to find it in the Hispanic foods aisle of the local grocery store as well.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...