Saturday, March 30, 2013

It's Easter Eve

I love Easter weekend.

Today I'll be practicing a song I'm singing tomorrow, while Eric hides Easter eggs around our living room for Heather to find when the practicing is done.

Today we'll meet up with Cantwells to celebrate the coming of spring, the joy and funny-ness that is family, and the indescribable blessing of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

Today I may get around to whipping up some freezer jam, or getting the first bits of my garden planted, but if I don't make it today, I'm not going to stress it.

Today, I hope to take some time in the few quiet in-between moments to think about Jesus, what He did for me, what He did for all of us, what He is for me and does for me now.





And then, I'll top it all of with Tomorrow.  Yet another new and glorious morn.



10:42 a.m. SATURDAY MORNING UPDATE:  I wrote this post on Thursday, in happy anticipation of a rosy, happy, spiritual stress-free day, in which Eric, Heather, and I would live a life that was so ideal that LDS Public Relations camera people could drop in at any time and take photos and videos of our interactions that would be worthy of any number of PR pieces.

Not unlike other years, that's not exactly what happened.

Heather was up quite a bit in the night with a croupy cough, which means that I was up quite a bit in the night taking care of a girl with a croupy cough.  When it was time to get up for the day, I was all right for about 30 minutes, and then the lack of sleep set in, and I quickly transitioned from tender, care giving, how-can-I-help-you wife and mother to put-upon, overwhelmed, naggy, why-am-I-the-only-one-who-does-anything-around-here wife and mother.  Not pretty.  After enduring my ordering and complaining for a bit, Eric and Heather retreated upstairs to as to be out of my sight and (hopefully) out of my wrath.

At which point, the guilt and realization of my foolishness set in.  I mixed up a glass of Crystal Light Focus (the kind that's caffeinated), drank a few sips, and had a little chat with Heavenly Father, telling him that it was too much for me, that I can't be in charge of everyone's welfare around here, and keep everyone fed, and take care of Easter candy AND the true Spirit of Easter, and be the helpful daughter-in-law/aunt, and prepare songs for Sacrament Meeting, and arrange for sitters so that Eric and I can go to the temple, and keep the house clean enough so that I don't go crazy, and keep track of every dollar that passes through the opera company, and care for the well-being of every child and every Primary teacher in my ward.

And then, Heavenly Father told me that it was okay, that my best is good enough, and I can let as much of that slide as I need to for now, and His Son will pick up the slack.

So, I'm letting things slide today. I still think it's going to be a great day.  Probably not picture-perfect, but that's why I need a Savior.  Thank heaven I've got one.



1 comment:

Juliana said...

Ah, that was perfect! So familiar with days like that and prayers like that. I hope your Easter weekend turned out splendidly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...