Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cake Boss or Purple Pie (wo)Man?

 photo purplepieman.jpg
(Anyone remember the Purple Pie Man?)

For Valentines Day this year, I decided to repeat the fabulously delicious chocolate cake that I made so successfully last year.

However, that cake made as written packs a wallop of EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN CALORIES PER SLICE.  I think we can all agree that eight hundred calories is too much for one piece of cake, right?

So, this time around I used fat-free buttermilk, egg whites instead of eggs, and also decreased the oil somewhat.

Remember when I said that my cooking instincts are essentially nil?

 photo IMG_2336.jpg

Turns out, this particular recipe needs all (or probably at least most) of that fat.  The cakes fell in the oven, spilling burning cake batter all over the oven floor (mom, you'll be happy to know that this time around, I actually got it all cleaned off within a week.) Bummer, that.  So, we had chocolate-dipped strawberries for Valentines instead.   I was able to salvage and freeze much of the cake, which we later broke up into little pieces and made into a yummy chocolate/whipped topping trifle, so that was nice.

But, there's another problem.  Last year we ended up freezing half of the Valentines Day Cake, because it was so rich and so delicious and so bad for you, and we thawed it on my birthday, and had it again.  This year, not so much.

So, I made a French Silk Pie instead, complete with all the fat that the recipe allows and requires.

 photo IMG_2592.jpg

After all, it's not like birthdays come around all the time, you know?

* * *

In other news (which, this isn't really anything new, but oh well), Heather's dramatics crack me up.
 photo IMG_2339.jpg


3 comments:

Carol said...

I love that you willing share baking flops! I have had a few myself. Like the time I used a dozen eggs at my sister's house for a cake that totally flopped. She was not a happy camper as their budget was tight and I had wasted a couple of weeks of eggs for nothing!

Although, I have to say that she really had nothing on me. She was the one, after all, who used pancake batter instead of flour for a cake because we had a huge tin of pancake flour (unlabeled) with a cake recipe taped on top! Now that was a flop if I ever saw one. At least the kitchen smelled good!

In the future when you substitute - you might try using applesauce instead of some of the oil (I usually keep about 1/4th of the oil and use applesauce for the rest). It provides the volume while reducing fat and works pretty well. For the eggs try using the egg substitute stuff you can get in the dairy section. It is reduced fat but still provides some of the good stuff you need from the egg yolks.

Better luck next Valentine's Day and Birthday!

kates said...

Thanks for being real--both of you. I'm very sorry that you had to make your own birthday cake :( Tell Eric to get on the stick!

Charlotte said...

Actually--it's not all Eric's fault. I'm kind of picky about my birthday desserts, and the fact is, Eric's baking skills aren't up to par for something as important as my birthday cake. We could always buy something of course, and we almost went that route, but I'd been wanting a French Silk Pie since Thanksgiving, so I took advantage of the opportunity to make one. (I didn't make it on my birthday though--I make it a point to stay out of the kitchen on that day!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...