Thursday, December 13, 2012

harvesting

We generally alternate Thanksgivings and Christmases with our Cantwell and Corry clans.  So, you would have thought that since we spent last Thanksgiving in Cedar City, we would be spending this one in North Logan right?  (Since I know you all keep track of these kinds of things.)

Well, we didn't.  See, it turns out that because of a decision we made several years ago to switch things around so that then college-student Eric could spend his Thanksgiving Break doing school projects instead of traveling to and from Cedar City, we have been "off" from the rest of my family ever since.  Thanksgiving isn't such a big deal to me, (I'm generally able to at least get some quality time in with everyone, even if it turns out that they have to eat the actual big meal with the other side of their family), but I love Christmas Eve with my siblings and nieces and nephews, and it's been years since I got it.

So, this year we're doing another switch, which will hopefully get us back in sync with the rest of the gang.

All that was a long explanation to say that this year, once again, we traveled to Cedar for Thanksgiving, and while there will be a more thorough treatment of that coming up here soon, this is a little photo collection of us cutting down our very own Christmas tree, from our very favorite mountain, with two of our very favorite people.

Photobucket
I love that Heather and Eric are such good friends.  I mean, that's a no-brainer of course, but all the same, I just love it.

Photobucket
My brother brought this hat back from his LDS mission in Russia, and gave it to my dad then.  Considering that he's been home almost twenty years (Geesh we are old), and that my father wears this hat every winter, I've gotta say, I'm impressed with Russian workmanship.

Photobucket
Don't let this face fool you.  She had a ball.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I'll be honest, I sometimes feel kind of silly when people ask me where we got our tree, and I admit that we drove 400 miles to Southern Utah, tied it to the top of our car, and then drove all the way back with it waving in the wind up there.  Additionally, the frugal side of me often wonders how badly the tree impacts our gas mileage, and how much this "free" tree is actually costing us (as opposed to the fake one that is up in the attic, patiently waiting for its turn in the bay window).  

So far though, traditional, I-want-to-keep-making-these-memories-because-who-knows-how-long-we'll-have-the-chance-and-what-good-is-a-savings-account-going-to-be-if-we-haven't-taken-the-time-to-love-each-other-anyway Charlotte has been winning out over frugal Charlotte.  I feel good about that.  Frugal Charlotte has no business winning all the time, after all.  





For other Christmas Tree harvesting adventures:

2 comments:

kates said...

Any Charlotte who can use such a hyphenated word as that is my favorite!

Harmony said...

Makes me feel awful lazy about going down to the closest supermarket to pick out our tree the other night, but at least it's a real tree! You'll never regret the memories you are making. As my wise father-in-law says, "It's only money." And, "A year from now, you won't remember how much you spent on it."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...