Monday, December 10, 2012

Fabulous Forty--Geek Style

Guess who turned forty last month?
Photobucket

Where it was a big birthday, I asked Eric if he wanted a party or some kind of big-ish celebration to commemorate the event.  Shockingly (not really), he said no.  That suited me fine, since I'm not one to just go out and plan parties willy-nilly.

However, a bit before his birthday, I happened to be shopping with Heidi, and I found this Darth Vader shirt for steal of a price, and I knew it would make a perfect Birthday or Christmas present for Enrique the great.  So, I snatched it up.  Then later, as I was lying in bed, still flush from my Go Dogs Do triumph, I realized that I just might be able to pull off a Darth Vader cake.

Not too bad for a girl with no discernible artistic talent, eh?

And then, as I was lying in bed another time, I thought about how fun it would be to take some random Eric pictures to Staples and get them blown up and decorate our house with them as a special random surprise.

So, Heather and I did just that.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Eric loved it all, I loved it all, but especially, Heather loved loved loved it all.  She was thrilled to give dad presents, show him the decorations, eat the cake with him, shower him with love and attention, kisses and hugs.  As this (nearly seven minute long) video shows, she really got into the birthday spirit this year.

Dad's Birthday from Charlotte on Vimeo.



It was a great great day, fitting for a great great guy.  



3 comments:

loveland9 said...

It all looks awesome! You can't say you don't have any talent because Heather has a fancy braid in her hair!! LOVE the idea of the pictures. I'll have to remember that.

Harmony said...

So fun and creative! Have to ask though--how did you do the black frosting, and could you stand to eat it? Every time I've tried black food coloring it has tasted disgusting (dark red does too).

For Jeff's last birthday cake I made a chocolate ganache frosting for the first time. It turned out a really dark brown--I wasn't going for black--but in photos it looked black.

Charlotte said...

For the frosting, I bought the Wilton Gel paste in black. I ended up having to use maybe 1/2 a teaspoon to get it as dark as I wanted it, but it still tasted fine to both Eric, Heather, and I. Of course, it was cream cheese frosting (Eric wanted carrot cake), so that could have been why.

Anyway, the frosting tasted fine, but it turned everyone's teeth black, at least temporarily. (like, for about a minute or two.)

Chocolate Ganache? Good on you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...