Monday, September 03, 2012

Races & Rings

Just a little over a month ago, we attended the bi-annual reunion for my family on my mother's side.  Except this year, it was a tri-annual event, due to some scheduling issues last year.  No matter, if I understand things correctly, it will be bi-annual again from here on out.

We've been having this reunion since I was probably eight or nine years old.  We've had it in Cedar City, at BYU, at Bear Lake, and a few other places, but lately (as in, for the past nine or ten years) we've settled in Park City.  It's a great time to catch up with cousins and aunts and uncles that I don't see as much as I want to, and it's a nice time to relax as well.  This time around I was so relaxed that even though it was a four and a half day event (of which we were able to attend two and a half days), I only took pictures of one part of event.  Better one than none though, right?  Right.

What might that event have been you say?  Why the foot races of course!  Let's get to it!


I'm not planning to provide a commentary for each of the photos, but look at this kid on the far right.  That is the oldest son of my oldest cousin (I'm the second oldest cousin on this side of the family).  I love how everyone else is all "eyes on the prize" and he is all "isn't it a lovely day for a run, and I'm having the time of my life."  Classic.  It continues into the next shot as well, as you will soon see.  I see so much of Chrissy (my cousin) in him here, it just simultaneously warms my heart and cracks me up.
Photobucket
Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Don't ask me why they are all on all fours.  I had just finished my own grueling race, and couldn't be bothered to learn the ins and outs of this one.  Heck, I'm lucky I had the strength to lift the camera for this shot.

Photobucket
Eric is obviously not a "blood" member of this family.  No competitive drive whatsoever.  

Photobucket
Spectators Extraordinaire. 

Photobucket
After the races, one of my aunts and one of my cousins orchestrated this mini carnival.  I was in charge of the pop bottle ring toss.  You should have heard me doing my carnie impression.  "Step right up kids!  Step right up!"  I was in rare form, let me tell you.  

Photobucket


Overwhelmingly, I felt it was a great reunion.  Sometimes I have a hard time "gearing up" for family reunions. They always take place in the summer, when my life it at its most hectic.  They nearly always involve travel, which means packing and planning, and forgetting something, and spending more money than I thought we would.  They always involve some kind of less-than-ideal-though-not-nearly-even-close-to-being-worthy-of-complaint sleeping situation.

And yet, every time, pretty much within 10 minutes of arriving, I'm always always always glad that I (we) made the effort to attend.  This was no exception.  Not even close.


1 comment:

loveland9 said...

Awesome picture of you and Heather. Love family reunions too. Isn't that the truth about getting there and then glad you did? Glad you had fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...