Wednesday, August 22, 2012

peppy tunes on parade

Heather and I, and at times Eric tend to have "song phases", which is to say favorite songs that when they come up on the playlist, we stop whatever we are doing and jam out, singing along, being ridiculous, you know, the usual family stuff.

This morning I got thinking that it might be fun to list some of the songs that have obtained our favor over the past three or four years.  So, here you go!



What Makes You Beautiful by One Direction:  This is our current favorite.  Awesome beat, awesome lyrics, awesome message.  We're loving it.  Eric gives his eyes an extra roll when we get to the "na na na na" part, because he is too much of a music snob to enjoy songs that don't have enough lyrics without resorting to the old "na na na" trick.  Heather and I don't care though.  We are impervious to eye rolls.

Life's a Happy Song from The Muppets:  Heather and I once did a full-on performance of this in Sams Club, her in the cart, me swinging the cart around, both of us singing among the bulk bags of almonds and Craisins.  I have no pride.  Shocker, I know.

Let My Love Open the Door from Pete Townsend:  I think this one is self-explanatory, no?

Rumor Has It by Adele

We Built the City by Jefferson Starship

Ray of Light by Madonna:  This was one of Eric's contributions

Have a Little Faith in Me by Mandy Moore:  We've been singing this one for years.

Obviously.


Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson

I Like to Move It Move It from Madagascar

Feeling Hot Hot Hot by Buster Poindexter

Dynamite by Taio Cruz

Tokyo by Imagine Dragons

Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars

Forever by Chris Brown


Any suggestions from the rest of you, peanut gallery?  We're always on the hunt for some good peppy tunes.

6 comments:

Jake said...

Kami's a big fan of Poker Face (though she calls it Poka Hace) by Gaga. Whenever it comes on she say, "I lub dis song dad." Jessi likes Pretty Girls by Iyaz.

Carol said...

Seriously - no Beach Boys? I'm not old enough to have grown up with all their tunes -but some persist to the younger generation. Kokomo, Surfin' Safari, California Girls (or Colorado as my brother sang it) - I know they aren't the best - but they are classic.

What about "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong?

"Hello Dolly" has been a classic in our family. Often sung when we see someone we haven't seen in a while (like overnight or after a nap - fun way to wake up). Of course, we replace Dolly with the appropriate name.

Amazing Grace has been a family favorite. It is a nice one to sing when having a tough day.

Just a few thoughts - love your list!

Charlotte said...

Love Poker Face. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but there you are. I'll check out Pretty girls.

What a wonderful world is not peppy enough for jamming through the house, but definitely a good "pick yourself up when life is giving you a run for your money kind of song." I had forgotten about the beach boys. Now THERE are some dancing songs.

Along the lines of your "Hello Dolly" song (but on a more 'gross' tack), we've taken to singing a little phrase or two of "Toot toot tootsie goodbye" whenever anyone around these parts does a little, well a toot! Aren't you glad I told you? You'll never think of that song the same way again!

Carol said...

Never thought of it that way! We have a Boston Bull named Chubby and her breed is notorious for tooting. You can bet I'll be humming that as appropriate! ;-)

Harmony said...

How about "Brighter Than the Sun" by Colbie Callait? I also like "New Soul" by Yael Naim, which is a couple of years old. "Happy Together," by the Turtles, and
"Celebration" by Kool and the Gang, are peppy oldies that make my playlist. Isn't it a little sad that Kool and the Gang is considered in the oldies category?!

Kaylee C said...

i LOVE one direction! :) Mandy Moore is also one of my favorites because she's Rapunzel in Tangled. I also really like "Tonight, Tonight". Its a great dance-around-the-house-like no-one-can-see you-song :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...