Wednesday, July 11, 2012

definitely living the dream

The dream of ninja-hood I mean.  JUST KIDDING!!!!  Read on!  (I'm killin' me here!)




Back on May 21, which happened to be the day that I signed Heather up for swimming lessons,I posted the following to Facebook: 




Charlotte Corry Cantwell
May 21
I just signed Heather up for swimming lessons. I know that it's no big deal really, but it's my first time, and I just feel so splendidly "mom-ish" doing it. Livin' the dream, that's me.




Along those lines . . .


I LOVE being the ninja-mom of knowing where things are:  Eric called me at work last Friday, wondering where Heather's swimsuit was.  I directed him to the places where I had seen it last (on the hook behind her door, laid across her dresser, inside the swimming bag), and when those failed, I mentioned that Heather has lately taken to hiding her clothes in an effort to not have to put them away when I see them on the floor.  I told him to check her closet, on the floor behind the dress-up box.  Sure enough, the swimsuit was right there, just waiting for a day of fun.  

As mundane and ordinary as it sounds, I get the biggest thrill out of doing and being these typical mom/wife things.  I remember growing up, if I couldn't find something, it was always my mom that I called on to help me find it.  Magically, she seemed to have a mental inventory on where everything in our house was residing at any particular moment, and nine times out of ten, she could help me find my shoes, my backpack, my favorite toy, my swimsuit, you name it.  Likewise, if I had a nickle for every time I've heard my dad say, "Honey, have you seen my ___________", followed by my mom saying, "Have you checked the __________", followed by absolute location success?  Well, let's just say that a certain yellow automobile would be mine, all mine!


I realize that this is at least a little bit silly (and you could probably strike out the phrase "at least a little bit" from that and get something infinitely more accurate), but it's been strangely satisfying for me to discover that somewhere along the road, I developed that magical power of knowing where everything we own is at any particular moment,  Unless you count Heather's one yellow flip-flop that disappeared on the 4th of July.  The last time we lost it, it surfaced in our neighbor's living room  Anyone seen it?  Who knew that I would enjoy that so much?  Not me.

(Incidentally, is it just me, or have these last few posts been a little more on the sappy, my life is glorious and full of rainbows side than is per usual?  I don't know what to say about that.  Maybe I'm just extra content with everything right about now?  Am I cruising for a bruising, or just feeling an unusual amount of gratitude for circumstances that should have illicited this much joy all along?  Time will tell.  Let's hope for the latter though, K?)






intimidating ninja image courtesy of Crycks

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

What, that isn't you in the picture?? :) I was always the one doing the finding growing up for my Mom, and now I get to do it for Spencer. Surprisingly, I'm starting to do the losing now and Peter will tell me exactly where I left whatever. But don't get me wrong, there is still much joy in the "knowing."

JJ said...

Nothing wrong with sappy! And I wouldn't worry too much about what's around the corner. Enjoy the heck out of right now. Ninja moms can handle anything life throws at them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...