Wednesday, June 06, 2012

my taste buds got all nostalgic writing this

A few years back, there was a restaurant here in Cache Valley called the Cabin Fever Cafe.  Soooo delicious!  Their breakfast was to die for, their french fries were hand cut and fried to perfection.  The decor was quirky, the service was great, the food was delicious.  But the desserts?  Oh my, the desserts were hands down, the best in Cache Valley.

My favorite was the hot fudge brownie.  It was a homemade brownie, the best I've probably ever had, topped with top of the line vanilla ice cream and smothered in the best fudge sauce there could ever be.  (Though to be honest, Eric's Aunt Linda's sauce comes about as close as anything else I've tasted.)

My love for the hot fudge brownie notwithstanding, from time to time, I would be persuaded to try out one of the other dessert offerings.  One notable such dessert was the Oatmeal Cake.  A friend and co-worker of mine counted this dessert as her favorite, and that lucky fact is the reason that I ever found this recipe.  See, it was her birthday, and it was also our weekly staff meeting.  So, as a special treat for her, I searched my recipe books for any directions I could find for oatmeal cake.  As luck would have it, the only one I found turned out to be an absolute winner.

Photobucket

So, that long involved story is a long-winded way to say that here is the recipe I alluded to in my last post.  It's not chocolate, but it's pretty darn good, I gotta say.  Topped with ice cream and drizzled with caramel topping, it's a pretty darn impressive as a dessert for a party or what-have-you, and yet, as long as you factor in the extra 20 minutes of oat-softening, it's pretty much a mix, pour, and bake recipe.  Easy and delicious.  My favorite.

(Oh, and to finish up my tale, tragically, the Cabin Fever Cafe closed its doors four or five years back.  I take solace in the fact that I have this recipe to console me.  Also the fact that if it were still open, I would probably be poorer than I am and fatter than I am.  Silver linings friends, silver linings.)

Here's the recipe:


Oatmeal Cake
-Leah Brown


(Incidentally, Leah Brown used to live two doors up from my parents.  Jacob & Melissa (my brother and sister-in-law) now live two doors up from my parents, having purchased her home last year.)

1 ½ c. boiling water
1 c. oatmeal
½ c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 ½ c. flour
1 tsp. Soda
1 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon

TOPPING:
½ cup butter or margarine
1/3 c. evaporated milk
¾ c. coconut
¾ c. brown sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
¾ c. chopped pecans or walnuts

Pour boiling water over oatmeal and let stand 20 minutes.  Cream shortening, sugars and eggs together until fluffy.  Sift dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture with the softened oatmeal; mix well.  Pour into greased and floured 9x13-inch pan and bake at 375 for 35 minutes.  Spread topping as soon as cake is taken from oven. 

Topping: Melt butter and add remaining ingredients.  Spread on baked oatmeal cake (hot).


3 comments:

Jake said...

I only ate there a few times, but I loved that place.

Teresa said...

That oatmeal cake was my favorite thing! I was just bemoaning not having it in a long time the other day! I'll have to give the recipe a try (on a day when I'm defying the dr.'s order to stay away from dairy). Thanks!

Carol said...

I had totally forgotten about this cake. We were having a family birthday party on Sunday for my cousin who (shockingly so) hates chocolate. This was perfect - especially paired with homemade ice cream. So yummy! Thanks for sharing at the perfect time for us!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...