Wednesday, June 27, 2012

little spots of sunshine

About a week ago, I decided (yet again) that I was spending too much time online.  So, I went through my Google Reader and unsubscribed myself from everyone with whom I wasn't personally acquainted.  Then I went to Facebook and unsubscribed (though didn't unfriend) myself from everyone that I wouldn't either pick up the phone and call or e-mail.  The process took about 20 minutes, and I estimate that it has saved me four to six hours over the course of the week since I did it.  Add that to the fact that I'm no longer addicted to pinterest, and I'm feeling pretty good about the amount of time I spend online these days.

Since this is the second time I'd done this in semi-recent memory, I'm under no illusions that this will be the last time for me, that from here on out I'll be super vigilant and never let a single thing interfere with me spending my time on what matters most to me.  Chances are, six months to a year from now, I'll probably be doing a little internet site housekeeping again.  But, I'm okay with that.  My physical house needs a good cleaning out from time to time, so why shouldn't other aspects of my life?

* * *

I mentioned going to my nieces sealing over Father's Day weekend.  Did I mention one of the surprise highlights of said sealing?  Oh, who am I kidding?  I know I didn't mention it.  If I had mentioned it, I would remember mentioning it, now wouldn't I?  Yes.  So, here's one of the surprise highlights of said sealing:

Unbeknownst to me, my friend from many years back, Kristi Bell was getting married in the Salt Lake Temple around the same time that my niece was getting sealed to her parents.  (To be clear, I knew that Kristi would be getting married that afternoon in that temple, but the actual time of the sealing wasn't known to me.)  Well, as it turned out, as we were headed up the stairs to witness Elia's sealing, I recognized members of Kristi's family heading down the stairs, presumably after her sealing.

Pretty cool huh?  But wait, it gets better.  After the sealing, I went to the children's waiting room to pick up Heather, who proceeded to start playing on the automatic doors in a very un-temple-appropriate manner while we waited for the rest of the family to gather.  So, I took her out onto temple square to distract her with the fountains and statues and flowers there, and to let her run around and let off a little steam.  Well, imagine my surprise (and glee) to find that the Kristi/Mason contingent was still outside taking wedding pictures!  Hooray!  Heather and I strolled by the happy couple and their entourage (Jacob & Heidi--you should know that we weren't even trying to be sly this time), I got a good look at Kristi's dress, and especially both of their happy happy faces, and gave them both a big happy wave.  Then we were on our way.  What a nice little unexpected treat, huh?  

Yeah, I totally took this photo off of Kristi's Facebook page.  What a happy couple!



* * *


And finally, I cleaned my drip pans on my range over the weekend.  It was a snap.  No, I'm not kidding.  I read somewhere (probably pinterest) that if you put the pans in a garbage bag with 1/2 to 1 cup of ammonia overnight, the fumes would break down all the grime and you'd be able to essentially wipe it off in the morning.  (You have to put the pans outside though or you'll get gassed out by the fumes yourself.  Not pleasant for sure.)


So, I tried it.  I ended up leaving the pans in the bag for a day and a half, just because I started on a Thursday, and Friday ended up being a range-less day, and by the time I remembered about it all, it was around 7 p.m. Friday night.  I'm happy to say that it worked really really well.  I did have to use the steel wool for just a bit, but there was not even enough scrubbing to make my noodle arms ache, which, with four drip pans, to me constitutes an unqualified success.  Awesome.








And that's what I've got for today. 





1 comment:

Mom C said...

Sounds like quite a bit actually. So fun about Kristi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...