Monday, June 04, 2012

apparently I've turned into one of those gardeners . . .

. . . you know, the gardeners who think that everyone wants more than anything to hear about the flora growing in their backyard, when really very few people care in the least?




You've been warned.  This is one of those posts.  Feel free to skip if you like.


quirky 4-12
March 2012

Sometimes I think I should pay the Church of Jesus Christ a yearly tuition because of all the practical things I learn in Relief Society.

Then, I remember that I (we) already pay 10% of what Eric and I earn.  So, so much for that.

But seriously, you'll remember that it was a Relief Society function that resulted in me finding my favorite cinnamon roll recipe.  In a bit I'll be posting another recipe (for scrumdidily-uptious oatmeal cake) that I got from a cookbook that was compiled by the Relief Society sisters in my mom's ward in Cedar City.  The helpful hints haven't been confined to cooking though, far from it.  A couple of months ago I attended a Relief Society meeting where I learned three or four simple-but-impressive-looking little girl hairstyles that have simplified my mornings significantly.

As if that wasn't enough, around the middle of April, I attended a Relief Society meeting that was all about gardening tips.  Heaven!

The man that presented the tips (one of my neighbors and the father to two girls who would be in the running to be my favorite kids in the whole primary, if I didn't know darn well that there are no favorites in primary)(and if I didn't have a daughter in the primary) knew that the majority of the people that would be attending were in a situation that was similar or the same as my own, i.e., people who don't have a whole lot of dirt at their disposal, and often even less sun.  So, he tailored his presentation to our needs.  So thoughtful and helpful!

Among other things, he clued me in to a little cloth that has changed my gardening life.  I can't remember what he called them, but when I did a Google search just barely, it seems like they are called "floating row covers" in google-land.  Basically, it's a cloth that you can put on your garden after you've planted some of your more hardy seeds (no tomatoes thank you very much).  The cloth protects the soil and seeds from the surprise frosts that we sometimes get in April and May, but it lets in enough light so that the plants can get the benefit of the sunlight, but allows the heat to escape so that the tender plants don't bake to a crisp in here.  That way, you can plant your plants, put the cloth on, and you don't have to go through the trouble of remembering to cover it each night and take the cover off each morning.  Since I'm a low-maintenance gardener, this kind of thing was right up my alley.

The day after the meeting, I marched myself over to Regan's gardening supply and bought myself a floating row cover.  I think it was $12.  The day after that, Heather and I put in our square foot garden.  (Eric had been so kind as to build me a garden frame while we were in Disneyland.) We also moved the strawberries out to their rightful place in the middle of the patio.

Photobucket
April 2012

We also started some indoor seedlings of tomatillos, jalapenos, and spearmint, as well as the rest of the flower seeds that I got for my birthday.
Photobucket


Once Memorial Day Weekend arrived (which is the time that I traditionally plant the garden, with faith and hope that frosty nights are a thing of the past), Heather and I marched outside and removed our magic cloth.    Imagine my joy to find not only seedlings, but real live healthy plants growing out there!!

Photobucket

We've got spaghetti squash, peas, chard, green onions, cucumbers, green beans, cilantro and basil growing there.  Jalapenos and tomatilloes to follow.  Since these pictures were taken we've also added tomatoes within those cages.

Photobucket

Now if you've been following my gardening adventures at all, you might remember that I have a tendency to get really excited about the planting and planning of a garden, and much less excited about the frequent watering that needs to be done throughout the (opera crazy) summer and early fall.  So, we'll see how this all turns out, I guess.  I have high hopes though, and at the very least, it sure makes for a gorgeously pretty backyard, you know?

Photobucket

Of course you do.  


3 comments:

Bamamoma said...

hey there. I'm no expert on growing things (as you know) but I have become a bit of an expert on irrigation. I could show you how to (inexpensively) put your watering on a hands-free timer system. Lemino if you are interested.

kates said...

Yay! It looks awesome, Charlotte :) I'm super glad it worked for you so well. I was just as impressed with the presentation as you were. I knew almost nothing. Jared said he felt like he had only scratched the surface, so if you ever wanna know anything else, feel free to pick his brain.

Harmony said...

I think it looks awesome so far! As for watering, y'know how there are just sometimes during the day when you don't feel like doing all the things you know you are supposed to be doing? Sometimes I sneak outside and water when I'm not feeling motivated to do any of those other things. It's less guilt-producing than Facebook, at the very least. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...