Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Still on the Wagon - part two of two

So, the last time I checked in with the blog on my whole fitness and diet progress it was the first part of March, I'd lost two pounds and several inches, and I was pleased if not exactly ecstatic about my progress.

You'll notice I didn't check in at all in April.  You know the old saying, "No news is good news?"  Yeah, not so much in this case.

See, in case (by some miracle) you've forgotten, my birthday is in March, and I have a propensity to celebrate my birthday for at least the week before and the week after my birthday, if not the whole month.  When you consider the fact that for me, celebrating has often involved some form of edible pleasure, you can perhaps imagine how healthy and low-fat/low-sugar my meals were in March.

Yeah, not a great month.  The first part of April saw me losing no weight, and no inches.

April wasn't stellar either.  We went to Disneyland, where our free continental breakfast included a delectable selection of donuts.  Have I ever mentioned here how I love donuts?  They are seriously probably in my top five foods.  And donuts for breakfast?  Who thought that up?  Heaven!  Sure, they mess up my blood sugar and give me headaches within 30 minutes of eating them half the time, but yum-a-yum-a-yum-a, head pain never tasted so good.

Anyway, between donuts and A LOT of other general lax-ness in the eating department, the first part of May saw me again losing no weight and no inches.

I started to get discouraged.  I even started to wonder if it was worth continuing with my new plan that didn't appear to be working at all.

But, a week or so after my weigh-in, I'm not all that discouraged anymore.  I got thinking about my general health before I started exercising more consistently and eating better.  Back in those days, I would take either Tylenol or Excedrin nearly every day (and sometimes multiple times a day) for headache pain.  That has stopped.  Back in those days, I was nearly always dragging by the end of the day, to the point that I would almost count the minutes until I could curl up in bed for the night.  Not so anymore.  Back in those days, I tended towards losing my temper or frequent bouts of feeling overly discouraged, definitely making life more difficult for me as well as anyone "fortunate" enough to live with me.  If Eric can be trusted, it would appear that even that has lessened considerably.

In short, I feel much better than I did in 2011.  I may not be much smaller physically, (although I haven't gained back anything that I've lost, let alone anything else, so that's encouraging) but there is no denying that my life is richer and more enjoyable now than it was before I started along this path.  Not to be too too blunt, but the fact is, I'd be an idiot to give that up just because I'm not making perfect progress, you know?  So, I'll continue on.  I think I've managed to get myself in the regular habit of more consistent more intensive exercise, and I pretty much never eat after 8:00 p.m. anymore, two habits that were problems for me that are now essentially non-issues.

From here, I think I'm going to strive for more consistent food journaling, and to be more honest with myself about the amount of fat and sugar that I eat.  I think the two will work hand in hand, which is to say that the better I'm eating, the easier it is for me to write it all down, and conversely, the more I hold myself to writing down my food intake, the less likely I am to eat things that I don't want to write down.



And that's where it all stands now.  I'll check back again in a month or two.

(Probably.)



 

image courtesy of scribbletaylor

2 comments:

Jake said...

I'm totally with you on the donuts, even the headache part.

JJ said...

Feels good to get back on the wagon, doesn't it? BTW, if you haven't checked it out yet, try Livestrong.com. I've been using their MyPlate app for months now, and it's kept me on the wagon much longer than I normally last. And by the way? That wasn't nice of you to bring up donuts... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...