Tuesday, April 17, 2012

planting seeds, of a few varieties

For my birthday among other presents, I received some small flowerpots, and some flower seeds.

Photobucket

So, on a recent rainy afternoon, Heather and I did a little indoor planting.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And now begins the waiting game . . .

Photobucket


In other random news, Eric and I had a lovely anniversary trip.  We didn't actually make it to a movie, but we were fortunate to happen upon the Salt Lake Library's semi-annual book sale, which was awesome.  We walked away with about $500 worth of books and books on tape for which we paid a total of $39.50. Feels good.  Upon returning home, we picked up Heather and had our family birthday party.  I took a few pictures of the event, but haven't gotten around to taking them off the camera and putting them on the computer yet.  There's a reason for that.  The truth is, pictures and computer time haven't been really high on my list of priorities for a few days now.  Why, you ask?

Well, I'll tell you.

Sunday I was released from my beloved calling of Primary Chorister, and put into a new (hopefully soon to be beloved, but currently quite intimidating) calling of Primary President.


Gulp!


I've never had any calling in the primary other than chorister, so although I know the music like the back of my hand, when it comes to administration, scouting, nursery, individual classes, rolls, or anything else, I'm totally out of my league.

Lucky for me, I know the kids, and I adore them.
(Also lucky for me, so far, the kids seem to like me alright as well.)

Also lucky for me, I have awesome, knowledgeable, hard-working counselors.

I'm sure there will be some this-cracked-me-up stories (with names changed to protect the innocent) to come.  So, look forward to that, won't you?

And with that, I have a little Primary-cramming to do.  Apparently these kids aren't going to teach themselves.


   

11 comments:

Jeri said...

while the next chorister has some HUGE shoes to fill... you will be AWESOME as primary president!

Melissa Corry said...

I guess Congrats are in order :) You will do fabulous, they are lucky to have you!!!

musicmom said...

Congrats on your calling. You will do AWESOME! I am also primary president-again. There are SOOOOO many good resources put out by the church now, it really has simplified the calling.

The primary general board just did an auxilary training, last month

http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/primary-auxiliary-training/2012/03?lang=eng&pid=1479165468001&pkey=AQ~~%2cAAAAnipXZ6E~%2cM1TCnNhLxEKEFEqoozus2IeNDEwaJR4

There were some good suggestions and ideas in that training. If you haven't seen that, it might be a good place to start.

Primary is the very best place to serve, although being primary music leader(my favorite calling as well), I am sure you already know that.
(Laura B.)

Bamamoma said...

My sister, Heather, says primary chorister is the BEST prep for being president because you know the routine, know the kids, and know the music. Then she added, "then there's scouts! ugh!" So, you'll have that but with the right people in there I'm sure you'll get up to speed on the crazy shinanigans (sp?) of scouts very quickly.

So fun!!!!

Glad to see those pots with soil and seeds.

Harmony said...

Oh Charlotte! You'll be awesome! The learning curve can be a little steep, but I agree with Bamamoma's sister--you've got a GREAT head start. The new church handbook is another good place to begin getting a handle on the rest of it. If it all doesn't start clicking right away, cut yourself some slack. You already love the kids. The rest of the less important stuff will come. One of my favorite things about serving in a presidency is that you don't have to do it alone--good counselors are lifesavers! May I also suggest Google docs for record-keeping and paperwork. My secretary started putting everything on there so our whole presidency can access and modify. It's super helpful. I'll stop now. Congratulations and good luck!

Harmony said...

Oh, and watch that broadcast of the General Primary Auxilliary Training meeting that Laura mentioned. It is worth it! (Thanks for the link, Laura.)

musicmom said...

I hate to suggest a non-church resource, but sugardoodle.net has some wonderful resources as well. Talk reminders, scout tracking sheets, etc. (I use it for scout and activity day stuff all the time. As well as for lesson and sharing time supplements on occasion) I agree with Harmony too, Good counselors are wonderful! ANd already knowing the music is a great asset to your calling. Go Charlotte. YOu will be great!

loveland9 said...

First of all, Heather has really grown up a lot the last few months. She's a little girl. Crazy.

Next thing....you can do this new calling. I think the older we get the more intimidating some callings seem to be. I can only imagine how great you would be with the kids. You'll be awesome. :)

Carol said...

Primary President - you'll be fabulous. If I had children, I would want them in your Primary! Your kind, gentle heart will come through in everything you do and that is exactly what is always needed in Primary!

As a former Primary President and Cub Scout leader - I say have fun with it! Scouting is a little crazy with all its wolves, bears and ceremonies. But, Blue and Gold banquets, pinewood derbies and all the other fun things are so much fun - you don't want to miss that do you?

Enjoy, enjoy, learn and enjoy. It will be awesome! Can't wait to hear how it all goes!

Carol said...

P.S. I forgot to mention that I love that Heather is all accessorized - hair bow and pearls -for gardening. How cute is that?!

Kala said...

YOU WILL BE AMAZING!!!!! I am SUPER excited for YOU! Knowing the kids already will be a blessing. ENJOY, it is a wonderful place to be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...