Monday, April 02, 2012

Another Killer Recipe that I Got From Someone Else

So, awhile back, I was asked to bring a dessert to one of our evening Relief Society meetings.

At the moment when it came time to make the treats, I was feeling like I didn't have a whole lot of will-power, so I went with an old favorite, but, as it turns out, a favorite that isn't all that tempting to me.

I'm talking about . . .

Photobucket

Cinnamon Rolls

I learned how to make these recipe sometime around ten to fifteen years ago.  Fittingly, I learned it in a Relief Society meeting, in the North Logan 7th ward, where one of my neighbors lugged her KitchenAid to the church and demonstrated the making of these rolls, and then gave us all samples.  They were easy, quick, and delicious.  I was hooked.

I frequently make these when I'm asked to make a dessert for a church gathering or potluck.  Because they don't feature chocolate as the main ingredient, I'm much less likely to over-indulge, but at the same time, I always get compliment after compliment on them.

They're versatile as well.  Sometimes, I'll make a filling with lemon juice and sugar instead of the cinnamon mixture.  Top with a lemon glaze, and voila!  Lemon rolls.  I've done it also with orange rolls for a breakfast/brunch item.  Regardless, they always turn out deliciously.

So, here's the recipe:


Cinnamon Rolls (Sharon West)

Combine in mixing bowl:
2 Tbs quick rise yeast
½ cup sugar
3 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2/3 cup powdered milk

Add:
½ cup melted margarine (I'm too lazy to melt this margarine/butter, so I always use regular old vegetable oil)
2 ¼ cups hot tap water
2 beaten eggs

Then add:
3 cups flour

Knead in mixer or by hand for 10 minutes.  Let rise approx. 20-30 minutes.  Do not punch down.  Roll dough in a large circle.  Spread topping on half of dough . . .

Photobucket

Photobucket

 and fold remaining half over topping. 

Topping: (note:  I generally half this.  The whole recipe provides waaaay too much filling, in my opinion)
8 Tbs Margarine-slightly melted
2 cups brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon

Cut in 1” strips . . .  (sometimes I'll do 1/2" - 3/4" strips, depending on how big I want the rolls to be)


Photobucket


 and twist on a pan in a circle.  


Photobucket


This is the trickiest part of the whole process, but in my opinion, it makes all the difference.  I feel that this shape of roll cooks more "moistly" than the rolls that I get if I roll the whole bunch of dough up and use dental floss to cut little spirals out.  I feel so strongly about it, that I made a video of myself doing the all-important twist.  I feel so so strongly about it, that I'm posting the video here, even though it was filmed by Heather, at a very unflattering angle of me, making me look like I have put on even more pounds than I actually have.  That's how important this step is.

Here's the Video. 


Photobucket


Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.  


Photobucket


Top with icing while warm.


Photobucket




Icing:
½ cups boiling water
1 Pkg Powdered Sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Photobucket

Take to your gathering and stand back and smile graciously as you receive compliment after compliment. 


(You'll also want to save one or two of these for your husband and daughter.  Otherwise you might have a revolt on your hands.) 




   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...