Thursday, February 09, 2012

reprieve

We had the best weekend.

Friday evening I got a little grumpy.  It had been an ugly duckling day, a day where I felt not-very-pretty.  You've had those days, haven't you?  Not fun.  The evening got better however, and by the time I went to bed, I was feeling much better.

Saturday dawned early (why can't Heather understand the concept of Saturday sleep-ins?), and the morning was filled with vegetable gathering (again, Bountiful Baskets), fridge cleaning, berry washing (remember--if you swirl your berries in a bowl of 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water, they will stay fresh about five times as long), endless question answering and gussy-ing.  We then headed to Millville for the baptism of our niece (Big) Emma.  On the way there, I remarked to Eric (in a "poor me" voice) that I was having a hard time with the fact that weekends had ceased to be freetime/downtime somewhere around the minute that we brought Heather home from the hospital, and although I wouldn't change it for the world, the fact was, sometimes I mourned the loss of freedom.  Like that morning, for example.

(Eric had nothing to say to that.  He's a smart man, seeing as how generally whatever he says when I'm in that mood is the wrong thing.)

And then, everything turned around.  We pulled up to the church just as the rest of the family was getting there, and we were all overjoyed to see everyone, especially Heather (because, Hello??  COUSINS!!!!)  It was a joyful reunion for everyone.

Emma's baptism was a treat.  For a special musical number, instead of having something rehearsed, every primary child in the congregation was invited to come to the front of the chapel and sing a primary song (When I am Baptized).  Heather decided that she wanted to go up, which I thought was wonderful, but I wasn't expecting her to actually know the song.  Silly me.  She boldly marched up to the designated "short kid" spot in the front, and sang right along with the kids, missing words and phrases here and there, but overall doing a fabulous job.  I might have cried with joy, but she alternated between looking so adorable and so funny that I never got introspective enough to get emotional.  Works for me.

After the baptism, we all went out to Grandma's house for Hawaiian Haystacks, and what turned out to be the downtime that I was mourning.  Once we were filled to the brim with delicious (and nutritious) Hawaiian Haystacks, Heather left on what turned out to be a three-hour cousin playing spree, where I was not asked a single "how come" or "why".  Actually, come to think of it, I was pretty much ignored by Heather for the remainder of the time we were there.  For my part, I sat at the table, my legs resting on an adjacent chair, unfinished baby afghan in hand, and crocheted and chatted with my two sisters-in-law.  Others joined us and left us during the course of the (marathon) conversation, bringing new topics and new perspectives and new comforts.  The hours flew by, and before I knew it, it was dark outside, and time to go home.

And that my friends, turned the weekend completely around for me.  The next day (Sunday) was pleasant, and the week started with me feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and grateful.

What's not to like about that?







 

2 comments:

JJ said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has ugly duckling days! In case I haven't mentioned it in a while, I just love reading your writing. Your voice comes through beautifully.

Charlotte said...

Thanks so much Juliana. Your compliments mean more to me than you might think.

(Especially on ugly duckling days!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...