Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hopping Back on the Wagon -- Part Two of Two

Image courtesy of LAZ Reader via i-tunes


My second New Years' Resolution is one that I kind of started back in December, when I joined that gym.

I know, it's a real shocker, and makes me totally unique among Americans in general, and particularly middle- aged Americans, but the fact is, my second New Years Resolution is to improve my physical health through more-consistent-and more-strenuous exercise and a more-healthy diet. (which for me, means way less sweets and less fat).

I've set some pretty specific goals along these lines, but none of them are terribly unique or interesting, so this will be short.  Basically, I exercise for 40 minutes every weekday, doing a mixture of cardio work and weight lifting.  I'm making sacrifices so that I get eight hours of sleep a night, or at the very least, seven.   Something new I've added is religious (and public (gulp!))  food journaling.  I'm hoping that this will help me gain an added measure of motivation to avoid all the sweets that I love so much.  I'm also rewarding myself this time around for goals met, such as making it to the gym every day in a week, pounds and inches lost, healthy eating for a specific amount of time, etc. etc.

Finally, around the first of every month, I'm planning to take a good hard look at what I'm doing, how I'm feeling, and what I think is working and what I think is not working.  So, in March, if I feel like I'm on track, then I'll keep up what I'm doing.  If not, then maybe I'll start actually (gasp!) counting calories.  Or, maybe I'll look into Weight Watchers or some other program.  I'm not at all interested in a program where they give me the food (a la Nutrisystem, etc.) just because I don't see myself living that way for the rest of my life, and I'm much more interested in making a lifestyle change than I am in simply losing weight.



So, we'll see how it goes.  So far, so good.

6 comments:

Jake said...

good luck. I'm waiting for you to post about running a 5k this spring.

teresa said...

:) Excellent plan Charlotte! You can do it!

Heather Albee-Scott said...

Good for you, Charlotte! I would love to see your food journal. I love food so much, but I also use it when I'm stressed, bored, scared, sad...oh, and happy! Hmmmmm. I'm trying to get back into running, again. I look forward to reading your posts and hearing about your healthy lifestyle (and I'm glad it's not a diet - healthy lifestyle means making room for everything, right?).

Charlotte said...

Heather, you can see my food journal at charlottefoodjournal.blogspot.com

:)

Jake said...

How many blogs should one person have?

Charlotte said...

I prefer to think of them as "notebooks that I don't lose in random 'safe places' around the house, because I always know exactly where they are"--thank you very much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...