Thursday, December 08, 2011

Jam vs. Tamales--the holiday battle

Photobucket
My mom made this advent calendar for me years ago, long before I had a child for whom counting down to Christmas was a big deal.  I grew up with one in our home, and taking the ornaments out of the pouches is one of my favorite childhood memories.  



Random thoughts on the season:

Every year around the first of December, I think to myself, "Oh good!  It's Christmas music time!"  And then, by December 5 or 6, I've had it with Christmas music for the year.  Weird.

Setting up the Christmas tree without fail (so far) puts me in a good mood.
Photobucket

Heather and I made gingerbread men on Sunday afternoon.  I didn't take any pictures, so you'll just have to trust me.  I think it was the first time I've made gingerbread men in my whole life.  We used the recipe on the back of the molasses bottle.  It worked out marvelously.

Not that this has anything to do with Christmas, but I've found that those recipes on the back of the box/jar/can/bag are generally winners.  It shouldn't be surprising really, but sometimes it surely is.

Eric bought the bulk of his Christmas last week.  (A drill press.  I don't even know what a drill press is or does.  We have the box unwrapped, sitting under our tree, and looking at it, I still don't know what a drill press is or does.)  He likes to buy his own presents, because he doesn't want to take the chance that I will buy him something he doesn't really want and "waste" the chance to get something he does want.  I'm okay with that, because I don't love trying to figure out what he wants.  I on the other hand, like to be surprised.  Eric's okay with that though, because he likes trying to figure out what I'd like, and (let's be honest), as long as it's wrapped up and isn't clearly something he's buying for himself and giving to me, I'm super easy to please.

(I don't know if Eric realizes this, but the fact that he makes the bed every morning probably means as much to me as any gift he could give me.)

(Eric is not a bed-maker.  He doesn't like it, he doesn't see the point of it.  He does it for me.  That's love.)

(I still want Christmas gifts though.  It's not like you can unwrap a made bed.)

This is the first year that Heather has been old enough to care about the advent calendar.  I am loving the whole process of taking the new ornament out of the pouch every day with her.
Photobucket

I haven't decided if I'm going to make tamales this year or not.  Part of me wants to, and part of me just doesn't want to go through the work and make the mess.  Also, when I was in Smith's last, I looked for the Maseca for Tamales package, and it looks like they don't even carry it anymore.  I didn't have it in me to go to the Latino market.  (I was still suffering from the after-effects of the flu/cold that hit our house.)  Is that a sign?

Luckily, I made a whole bunch of plum jam a bit ago, and can give those jars out, if need be.  Truly, wouldn't you rather have a jar of plum jam than a tamale?  (Please say yes.)





 

8 comments:

Bamamoma said...

YES! (but that is a lie)

:)

having said that, I support and understand your decision.

Scott and Amy said...

Scott is not a bed maker either, but does it for me as well. Love it!

Mom C said...

I read, not too long ago, that making your bed every morning is one of the most positive things you can do for your mental health. Has something to do with concrete proof that you have accomplished something that day. Subconsciously it lifts and brightens your psyche. So Eric is doing much more than just making the bed, he is helping your mental health! Good for him!
I'm glad Heather is enjoying the calendar. So far, Ty, Kaylee, Spencer and Jessi have helped me with mine.

Mom C said...

PS As long as you do tamales here, you don't have to do them in Logan!?! And we all loved the plum jelly. Loganites would be getting a real treat!

Melissa @ Happy Quilting said...

I know I would take the Jelly :) Yummy, Yummy, Plum Jelly!!!

Kaylee C said...

what is unlce eric going to use a drill press for?

Melissa @ Happy Quilting said...

I'm with Heidi on this one.

Jacob not Melissa

Charlotte said...

Kaylee--I'm not sure. Maybe by the time we get there after Christmas, I'll have a better idea. (But probably not.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...