Tuesday, November 15, 2011

. . . just in case yesterdays offering didn't get you "feelin' groovy" . . .

It's the third annual random video week here in quirksville!



I remember listening to this song as a little girl in my dad's green and white striped truck.  He had gone through and recorded all his LP albums onto cassette tapes, and would play them as he drove around.  I think I might even remember the first time I heard it.  It was a new sound to me, different from any other music than I'd ever heard, and I knew immediately that I loved it.  To put it mildly, it was a favorite from the first time I heard it, and is still a favorite today.  

So, for fun, today I've got two versions of this song, both by the same guys, separated by many many many years.  

THEN:

NOW(ish):

I love the contrast.  I love how bright and hopeful and clean and innocent and Sesame-Street/Disney-esque they seem in the first one (and how fun it is when the Smothers Brothers join in), and then, in a totally different way, I love how semi-hammered by the life they are in the second one, and especially how hippie their band is.  Classic people watching there for sure.  

Did you notice that they moved the key up as they got older.  That's a bit of a surprise to me.  I foresee myself moving down in pitch as I get older.  (Oh--and the second version is about two minutes longer than the first.  That's not all that surprising.  I definitely foresee myself getting more long-winded as I age.)




6 comments:

Marilynn said...

Thanks for having this on. It is one of my favorites too. Although "kickin' down the cobble stones" threw me for many years until I figured out they were talking about walking down the street. Why would anyone want to kick cobble stones? And what are cobble stones anyway?

Yeah young minds. I have to say the first one is my favorite. Maybe because it is the one I heard the most.

Thanks for the fun!

Mar

Mom C said...

What are those instruments? One looks like a accordian/harmonica and the other looks like a wrapping paper tube with a slide. I don't remember being that groovy! Ah, Smothers Brothers, how great were they?

Jake said...

I like the first one

Kaylee C said...

cool video. Simon and Garfunkel are pretty...groovy :)you also should post KID HISTORY! the kids on it are only the most adorable things in the world.

Bamamoma said...

I agree with Kaylee!
Kid History ROCKS!

Harmony said...

I think they have been hammered by the lives they've led. Still enjoy so many of their songs though. It's interesting to see what music stands up to the test of time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...