Thursday, November 10, 2011

a few random thoughts

Back when I had more control over what I did with my time, I spent a fair amount of time traveling to see my siblings and nieces and nephews. I loved it. However, it seemed like nearly every time I did so, I would catch some kind of bug, generally a cold, from little kids who had an immune system that was differently wired than my own. Now as I sit here, sniffling, coughing, and avoiding talking (no voice), it's oddly comforting (while not-at-all-oddly annoying) that some things never change.

* * *

My wedding ring means more to me than I realized.  I lost it for about 36 hours a bit ago.  I was braiding Heather's hair, and I took it off and put it in the pocket of my ratty not-ready-for-the-day-yet jeans and forgot all about it.  Later, I remembered, but I had already changed into other clothes.  I ran upstairs and looked in the jeans, but it wasn't there.  I turned the closet inside out, dumping out the dirty laundry FOUR TIMES, going through every single thing, turning every sock inside out, all to no avail.  I spent 30 minutes crying about it, and then the next day and a half alternating between 1)Telling myself that it was just a "thing" and the sentiment behind the "thing" was something that I still had and so I shouldn't be too sad about it, and 2)Feeling like if I could ever find it again it would be better than a hundred Christmases combined.

Thankfully, I found it the next evening, as I was changing into frumpy sweats for an evening of popcorn and videos.  I was shaking out my sweatpants, (which I keep on a shelf in the closet) and it fell to the floor.  I picked it up and bounded into the bathroom, where Eric was giving Heather a bath, screaming and dancing for joy (me screaming, not Heather or Eric).  That was a good day.

(Better than a hundred Christmases combined.)

* * *

Cleaning out/un-plugging the drain in the bathroom sink, while a little (or a lot) on the gross side, gives me a surprising sense of accomplishment.

* * *

I think that's enough for today.  I'm not even going to bother to find a random picture for this post.  I'm just going to slap it up there, and go on with life for a bit.  So there.


 

1 comment:

Mom C said...

Oh you must be related! I also get satisfaction out of destringing the roller brush on the vacuum and cleaning hair out of the hair brushes. Not all the time, you know, just when the time is right.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...