Monday, October 17, 2011

True Confessions

This is not the confession.  This is something that makes me laugh my head off.  






Here's the confession:

I am training to run a 5K.

To some of you, this might not seem like a big deal.  But it is a big deal, and not in the ways or for the reasons that you might think.

See, I used to be a runner.

I used to smirk a little at the idea that a person would need to train to run a 5K.  A 5K was something that you ran when you were trying to train for something else.  It was where you started.  Working up to a 5K?  Ridiculous.

(Kaylee--don't laugh at me!  Have mercy!)

Here's my other true confession:

I'm actually enjoying training to run a 5K.

Can you believe it?  Honestly, I'm not sure that I can.  When Heidi asked me (about a month ago) if I wanted to train to run a 5K with her, and I (semi-reluctantly) said yes, I wasn't sure I could do it.  It had been at least 10 years, and probably closer to 15 since I had run for longer than 4 or 5 minutes consecutively.  So, the thought of 3-point-1 miles of straight running was daunting to say the least.

Fortunately, we started out small.  We live on opposite sides of Cache Valley, so we trained individually, and checked in from time to time on our progress.  We started out with the following grueling workout:

5 minute warm-up walk
90 second run
90 second walk
3 minute run
3 minute walk
90 second run
90 second walk
3 minute run
3 minute walk
90 second run
90 second walk
5 minute cool-down walk

It wasn't all that hard (shocker, I know), and it gave me courage to try the next one and the next one and the next one, for a few weeks now.  And then came this morning.  The morning of glorious triumph!

The morning that I, Charlotte Corry Cantwell, a woman diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma, a woman who is 30 pounds over her ideal weight and 15 pounds over her "this is close enough for me to be satisfied" weight, a woman who has been telling herself for years that running just wasn't her thing anymore . . .


This morning, I, Charlotte Corry Cantwell ran for twenty-freaking-amazing minutes without stopping a single time.  


!!!!!!!


I know, right?  This really isn't as big a deal as I'm making it.  Twenty minutes of running is not that big a deal.  It especially seems a little strange that it would be a big deal for a girl who practically defined herself by her running performance, which is something that I was tempted to do in my teen years.

But, I gotta tell you, it feels like a big deal.  It feels like a great big wonderful big happy deal.

I'll take it.  


(Thanks Heidi.)






.

9 comments:

Harmony said...

Yippee! Go Charlotte! To me, Charlotte and runner have always been synonymous. :-)

Tasha Seegmiller said...

It is a huge deal!!!

Why?

Because a month ago you couldn't.

Way to go.

Melissa @ Happy Quilting said...

Yippee Skippee for you!!! That is most excellent. I just started my training today (I am swimming in a team triathalon with Jacob and Robert) for something that I used to define myself by and I can totally understand how big a deal this is. I was so wasted after what used to be a warm-up. So I can totally understand what a huge deal this is for you!! And thank you for inspiring me!! Hopefully in a few weeks I can say that I swam a little more like the good old glory days :)

k said...

I would never laugh at you! At the begging of the season I was in shock and denial because I had to run three miles. I think that's so cool that you're running again. You set a goal for yourself, and then you ran 20 minutes! That's more than I could do at the beginning of my season.

Kaylee C said...

I would never laugh at you! At the begging of the season I was in shock and denial because I had to run three miles. I think that's so cool that you're running again. You set a goal for yourself, and then you ran 20 minutes! That's more than I could do at the beginning of my season.

Kaylee C said...

and I don't know why it posted it twice.....

Kaylee C said...

and I don't know why it posted it twice.....

ShaLiece said...

um...kaylee do you really want to get your point through?

The Robinson Family said...

that picture is hilarious!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...