Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dery Own!

So, I have this fuzzy green and blue bathrobe that is made out of that soft sweatshirt material (what is the technical name for that material anyway?) that I love.  (I know you will all be disappointed to learn that there will be no pictures of me in said bathrobe posted here.  I do have some pride.)

Anyway, as I said, I love that bathrobe.  It is soft, it is warm, it is comforting, particularly in the winter when I've just gotten out of the shower and I am freezing to death, or in the summer when I have just gotten out of the shower and Eric has the A/C on full blast and I am freezing to death.  (Like many couples that I know, Eric and I have temperature disputes on a regular basis.  That silly man likes it cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I like it cheap which generally means the opposite.  Surprised?  I thought not.)

Oh--did I mention that my mom sewed the robe for me?  She did.  That will be an integral part of the story, so I'd better not forget to mention it.

So, awhile back, I was hanging out in my pjs and my robe, trying to get Heather dressed for the day.  It was a Saturday morning, so we had some time to spare here and there.  Kind of out of the blue, Heather noticed my robe, how soft it was, how warm it was, how totally awesome it was, and she asked me where her robe was.  I informed her that Heather had no robe, which unsurprisingly, made her sad.

So, I did what any other non-indulgent mother who is trying to raise a child up in a manner so that she learns that awesome robes of joy don't grow on trees would do.  I picked up the phone and we called grandma.   As it turned out, grandma wasn't home, so Heather left a voice mail message for her.  It was this:

Grandma!  I need a robe !

Please!
(The "please" came after a bit of motherly prompting)


We went along with our lives for a few weeks after that, and then it so happened that I was talking to my mom on the phone, and I asked her if she'd received Heather's robe order.  She had, however, she hadn't been exactly clear on which member of the princess pack* was making the order, and so it had kind of slipped to the bottom of her consciousness.  


Luckily, I was able to set her straight.  Even more luckily, mom was scheduled to come up for a visit later that month.  


Long story short, she brought up her sewing machine, a few yards of different fabric options, and bada bing bada boom, two hours later, Heather had a a soft, warm, pink robe.  


PhotobucketPhotobucket

I think my favorite part of the whole thing was seeing her joy as she tried it on for the first time.  "A robe of my dery own!", she kept exclaiming, "A robe of my dery own!"


Grandma, you totally came through for us again.  Thank you.








 

*The Princess Pack is the name I've given to a group of Corry girl cousins.  It starts with Jane (age four) and ends with Josie (age 2-3 weeks), and it includes no fewer than seven little girls within that four year age span.  At almost exactly one year younger than Jane, Heather is sitting pretty in the middle of the pack.  

4 comments:

Mom C said...

You're welcome. But thank you. My favorite part was trying to get Heather to try it on so I could hem the bottom and sleeves. She didn't want it on over her clothes, so she kept trying to take off her shirt and pants. Then she wasn't wet, she needed a bath before she could try it on! It was quite entertaining seeing her thought process.

Jake said...

Nice. Furniture for Becca, robes for Charlotte, .22 special for Jacob.

By the way I googled intrical because I didn't think it was a real word. I wouldn't advise you to do that.

Charlotte said...

I'll take your word for it Jake. However, after looking up "integral" in the dictionary, I think that's probably the word I'm looking for. I'll go change that now.

Kaylee C said...

Might I add that Grandma is also making MaKell a robe, and already helped me make one? She is one amazing seamstress :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...