Saturday, October 22, 2011

As far as I'm concerned, This is more of an excuse for me to post three freaking adorable pictures of Daxton than anything else, but we'll call it a USoSL post anyway.

So, as I've mentioned, my brother Doug recently moved from Ohio to Texas.  You might remember that just before he moved, he sent me some Cleveland-area lion pictures that he took on the weekly Sunday walk that he would take with his family.

Well, now we start the Texas installment!

This lovely lion can be found in Canton Texas, at the Canton trade days.  This event is held the weekend before the first Monday of every month.  Basically, it's the largest flea market in the world, with as many as 500,000 shoppers during the weekend.

(That cute Dodger fan?  Oh yeah, that's my little nephew.  Adorable, no?  Check out that smile!)

Photobucket

Now, if you're just in it for the fabulousness that is Stone Lions, you can probably just click off to something else here.  However, if you 're up for a little bit of finagling (although no points will be awarded), and vintage Doug-ness, then read on.  See, we are about to see Doug link stone lions to his favorite subject/hobby of them all.  Of course I am talking about sports.

(Seriously--between not liking to sew, and not caring one fig for professional sports, sometimes I wonder if my parents adopted me.  Good thing I can sing, and that I worry.  Two very Corry/Willis-esque traits.  Anyway, back to the promised sports link by Doug.)

To get the full effect, I quote from Douglas directly:

[This] reminds me of another stone (or stone like) lion I have seen. This is in Canton Ohio. I admit I did not take this picture in Ohio.  Although I have visited the NFL hall of fame twice, the only picture I have of this bust of Barry Sanders is of half of his face that I got while taking a picture of the bust of Dan Marino.  So, I am not sure this is blog worthy or not.  (Note from Charlotte:  Obviously I have deemed that it is.) And in case you are wondering Barry Sanders was a running back for the Detroit Lions during the 90's. (In fact, I was wondering that very thing.) He was inducted into the hall of fame in 2004 which hall of fame is located in Canton Ohio about an hour away from Cleveland. 


Photobucket


Photobucket




Doug continues:


You knew it was only a matter of time before I weaseled sports into the USoSL.  I'm nothing if not consistent.

Now, if you have any doubts that I have not seen this in real life I also attached another picture as proof that I have (that's the Lombardi trophy given to the winning team of the Super Bowl). Photobucket



And there you have it folks.  Two stone lions (sort of) and a stone football (sort of).  Knowing my brothers, I fear that I may have opened a Pandora's box with this one.  Time will tell.  As is generally the case, time will tell.  

Let's hope for the best, shall we?





3 comments:

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I guess this it the point where I realize the additional quirkiness in the relationship that you have with your brothers, as I found it hilarious he had to explain who Barry Sanders was. I just assumed it was common knowledge but found it so funny that Doug assumed you didn't know.

Melissa @ Happy Quilting said...

I might have to get a smart phone now so I can have a camera with me all the time. A new challenge has been set forth.

Once again, this is not Melissa

Charlotte said...

Jacob getting a smart phone? I'll believe it when I see it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...