Thursday, September 08, 2011

Round-up--September edition, maybe the last one?

It's that time again!  
My random collection of web wonders and magazine marvels awaits you below!  



This time-out mat cracks me up.  Right now we make Heather sit on the stairs when she does something worthy of time out, but I could see this mat being an alternative.  If nothing else, it would probably help lighten my mood during an otherwise frustrating episode.  




We have a couple of glass pans with our names etched in them (thanks to awesome sisters and sisters-in-law), so I don't know that I'm going to be making another anytime soon.  However, I laughed at the story that accompanies the tutorial for this pan.  I found it so funny, (in a prankster semi-irreverent kind of way) that I just had to put a link here.  




Did you know that you can make glow lanterns like this just by cracking up glow-sticks and pouring the liquid in a glass bottle?  Neither did I.  
(There's also a link to a really delicious chocolate cake here, but the ingredients for the cake include hot coffee (I could try subbing Postum I guess) and the frosting/mousse includes whiskey.  So, it might be awhile before you find the cake in our kitchen.  Still--how important would that whiskey be?  Would it's omission ruin the cake?  I think not.)





This post links to about ten other posts where there are descriptions and tutorials on how to give yourself a floor/table/counter makeover, using pennies.  I love the look of this.  I'm tempted to try it on one of our tables just to see if it's as cool as I think it is, but we'll see.  






This recipe looks delish.  
(Another fast Sunday treat in the making perhaps?)






This woman tried this recipe for homemade Oxy Clean, and said that it took stains out better than anything she had ever purchased before.  It's probably worth a try. 




Having said that, here's a cheap and easy tip from my good friend Jeri that I know to be effective from my own personal experience.  


These look impressive, but the directions make me think that even I could manage something along these lines.  Hey, anything is possible.  

From my weekly Relief Society Newsletter:  To keep weeds out of flower beds, wet newspapers, put layers around the plants overlapping as you go, cover with mulch and forget about weeds.  Weeds will get through some gardening plastic but they will not get through wet newspapers.  (I'm thinking about transferring some of the strawberry patch from the patio planter buckets to actual dirt.  I might try this method if I do.)


I love this.  Can't you just see "Heather" there on the wall, surrounded by embroidery hoops filled with fun fabric?  I've got a free fabric supplier (although I have to go down to Cedar City to make good on that contact), I'm thinking that maybe it's time for an update on Heather's room.



Food lush has a great tip for keeping berries fresh longer.  I'm always stressed about berries, especially raspberries.  It seems like as soon as I get them, I either have to freeze them, jam, them or eat them immediately or they start to get soft and furry.  However, if you make a mixture of one part white or apple cider vinegar and 10 parts water, you can dump the berries in there, swirl them around, and apparently they'll last a week or more.  Supposedly you can't taste the vinegar either, because the solution is so diluted.  I'll definitely be trying this little trick in the future.

UPDATE:  I tried it.  Works like a charm!


I love bringing a little bit of the outdoors into our home, particularly on our breakfast nook table.   In spring it was flowers, but pretty soon, we'll have autumn leaves to choose.  Problem is, all my vases are glass, (read:  fragile, dangerous, and easily tipped over) and probably not the best choice to have around curious little fingers.  However, if I made one (or more) of these up, I could bring the outdoors inside without worrying about that kind of calamity.  This is one craft I might actually get around to doing.




This bubble recipe looks easy and fun.


We travel Interstate 15 a lot, Heather and I (and sometimes Eric).  I like these ideas for nutritious but not quite as messy as they could be road trip snacks.  Heather and I are headed on a 6-hour road trip next month.  It might be the perfect time to try these ideas out.



This looks fun, and with Heather's recent facination with painted rocks, it might be a good way to learn and practice the complexities of lower-case letter.  





Of course I had to post this one.  Even if I don't sew, A Charlotte doll?  Of course!  




This is fun.  That's all.



I love this super-easy idea for coloring in the car on long (one-adult) road trips.  No more having to pull over to rescue dropped crayons!

UPDATE:  I just tried this for our little mini-road trip to Springville last weekend.  On the trip down, it worked great!  Unfortunately, I left them in the (hot hot) car while we were actually in Springville, so they were essentially destroyed by the time we were ready to go home.  Next road trip though?  I'm all over it again, and now I know my lesson about hot cars.  




And now, after all this goodness, I have news for you all.  These round-ups may be coming to an end.  See, I've discovered Pinterest, a website where you can basically make virtual corkboards full of pictures that provide links to stuff you like.  So, basically it's a whole site dedicated to the kinds of things that I put on these round-ups, except that it is WAY LESS WORK to get them there than it is to get them here.  So, I'm doing more "rounding up" over there these days, and less "rounding up" over here.  

I'm kind of new to Pinterest, but apparently, it gives you the option of "following" someone over there, much like you can check blogs over here.  So, you're welcome to follow me there, if you want to, and if you're more Pinterest-abled than I am, and can figure out how. 

And now for the magazines:

From Readers Digest:

Experts say that younger children are starved for hands-on, focused playtime.  So, set a quiet timer for 15 minutes, and drop the cell phone and play like you used to.  Take a trip to the backyard to look for bugs, make a couch fort, or just tell a story (advises Kathy Hirsch-Pasek, PhD, author of Einstein Never Used Flash Cards.  Even short bursts of interactive and imaginative play provide big developmental payoffs for kids from two to ten.  My mother-in-law is great at this, especially the backyard bug field trips.  I think it's time I took a page from her book.  

Something to think about:  "Our children look to us with the same unanswered question we had.  'Is this it, Daddy?  Am I doing good?'  It's why every child growing up says, 'Watch me.'  Our kids don't hold back because they are afraid to fail.  They are only afraid of failing us.  They do not worry about being disappointed.  Their fear --as mine was until [I received a letter my father wrote me]--is of being a disappointment.  Give your child permission to succeed.  If you don't have children, then write a letter to someone who looks up to you.  You know who they are.  They are waiting for you to believe in them.  I always knew my parents loved me.  But trust me:  That belief will be more complete, that love will be more real and their belief in themselves will be greater is you write the words on their hearts:  'Don't worry; you will do something great.'  Not having that blessing from someone they love may be the only thing holding them back."
(This is a great article, and can be read in its entirety here.)

From Better Homes & Gardens:

When things go on sale:
Appliances on Holiday weekends, Cameras & Camcorders in February and March, Carpet & Flooring in January, China & Flatware in March and September, Computers in August and December, Cookware in May, June, and December, Dining Furniture in October and November, Electronics in spring and early summer, also Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Furniture in January, July, and holiday weekends, Holiday Decor, the day after the holiday (duh), Linens in January, Mattresses from May through August, Paint in the summer, Patio Furniture after Labor Day, Plants, Trees, and Shrubs in the Fall, Small Appliances in December, Snowblowers in April, Televisions in early spring, also six to 12 months after a particular model is launched, and Vacuum Cleaners in April & May.  

So, put another way:
January--Furniture, Linens
February--Cameras & Camcorders
March--Cameras & Camcorders, China & Flatware, Electronics, Televisions
April--Electronics, Snowblowers, Vacuum Cleaners
May--Cookware, Electronics, Mattresses, Vacuum Cleaners
June--Cookware, Electronics, Mattresses, Paint
July--Furniture, Mattresses, Paint
August--Computers, Mattresses, Paint
September--China & Flatware, Patio Furniture, Plants, Trees, & Shrubs
October--Dining Furniture, Plants, Trees, & Shrubs
November--Dining Furniture, Electronics (Black Friday and Cyber Monday only), Plants, Trees, & Shrubs
December--Computers, Cookware, Small Appliances

Shopgoodwill.com is like ebay meets thrift store--a huge collection of finds for not a huge amount of money.

Flit.com is a shopping aggregator that samples prices at several different e-commerce sites and leads you to the best buy.  

To keep rewards program cards from clogging your wallet, store them in a gift card tin in your car or purse.

A good idea for grocery shopping:  Keep a 'nitty gritty list' in your purse for shopping.  Write down 20 items you typically buy and their average prices.  When a sale comes along, you can tell exactly how much you're saving, or not.  It you don't know what a good price is, it's easy to get suckered.    

You can keep pieces of fresh ginger in the freezer (tightly covered in plastic wrap) for up to three months.  When a recipe calls for ginger, remove a piece and grade away, no need to thaw.  

Some ideas for using pesto:  
-Brush each side of a strip steak with about a tablespoon of pesto.  Grill over direct medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until desired doneness, turning once halfway through.
-Whisk together a half a dozen eggs, 1/3 cup milk, and a couple tablespoons of pesto.  Cook in a skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is cooked through but eggs are still glossy and moist.  
-Mash 3 avacados with a spoonful of pesto and juice from half a lemon.  Serve with carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, and/or tortilla chips.

A fast way to prep ears of corn for cooking is to use a damp paper towel to remove the silks.  Just run it down the cob, toward the base.  The silks will adhere to the paper towel, leaving you with clean, ready-to-cook cobs.




4 comments:

Kristin said...

Thank you so much for including our Tin Can Vases in your round up! :)

Spray Paint Queen said...

Thanks for featuring me! I love that penny idea. I'll have to keep that in mind for our change bin.

Erika said...

Thank you so much for featuring my recipe for Homemade Oxy Clean!

jamie @ backless shirt said...

Thank you for including my snarky etched cake pan! And I'm so glad you enjoyed the story. :)
Jamie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...