Friday, September 02, 2011

Playdough (or as Heather says, "Pludo")

Awhile back, I decided that it was time Heather and I ventured into the wonderful world of play dough.

Photobucket


So we did.



The Recipe We Use
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups salt
3 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 Tbs oil
1 1/2 cups water

Stir in saucepan over medium heat until a ball forms.  Knead 1-2 minutes, separate into balls and add food coloring, kneading to spread through.





Photobucket
"D" for Dad (or Donna), "M" for Mom (or Marian), and "H" for Heather (or Hannah)

Photobucket

She loved it.  

I don't know why I didn't make playdough months ago.  Talk about an attention span lengthener!  A few days ago, Eric and I went to the temple, and Heather played with playdough for over two hours, happy to her hearts content.  (and, as anyone knows, in preschooler time, two hours is like a day and a half!)  Shauna (who was kind enough to babysit) told me that Heather wanted her (Shauna) to sit with her (Heather), but was perfectly content to have Shauna do her own thing while Heather made cats and dogs and hamburgers and what-have-you, with a little request for a specialized figure from time to time.

Actually, maybe it's a good thing that we didn't do playdough before now.  I mean, now that fall is around the corner putting winter around the bend, maybe it's good that we still may have hours and hours of molding entertainment ahead, rather than frittering it away when there were fun outside activities to be had.

It's like the ant and the grasshopper, you know?  Except instead of storing up food, we're storing up options for fun.

Just call us a little ant family.

(Which is just as well, because since I recently pesticided five grasshoppers into oblivion (the pesky buggers thought they could take up residence in our tomato garden!  The nerve), I doubt we'd be all that welcome in the grasshopper family.)

5 comments:

Heather Albee-Scott said...

I haven't made this playdough in ages - Soph seems to be out of the phase, but maybe, for old times sake, I'll make it! :) I miss the days of finding hardened playdough pieces in odd places.

Melissa J. Cunningham said...

My kids love to make it and they're old enough do to it themselves now. If only they'd wash their own dishes. lol

Teresa said...

Pludo! So cute! My niece who is 4 was super excited to tell me that she can swim with her face in the water now that her parents got her some "gobbles" :) I love kids!

Harmony said...

For fun! E-mail me if you want my recipe that uses a lot less salt. Although, come to think of it, salt probably costs less than the flour mine calls for. Still, mine tastes better if it happens to get eaten. :-)

Lindsay said...

I love this! I've always wanted to make my own for my kids, but never knew how. Thanks for the recipe! I would love to have you share this @ Show & Share--
http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/09/show-share-4.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...