Monday, August 01, 2011

arrival (and I didn't even notice)

Photobucket
my own little flowers in my own little flower garden




Last month Eric entered into what turned out to be a very pleasant conversation with a woman who (like Eric) was watching her child scamper around the playland at McDonalds.  In the course of trading notes on the experience of parenting an only child in the twenty-first century, she remarked to Eric that we Cantwells are living the American dream.

When Eric told me that, it brought me back a bit.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I like my life.  But living the dream?  I hadn't really thought about our situation in that light.  As we talked about it though (as we were taking a Sunday afternoon walk in one-thousand-degree heat, which was my idea, which I knew was a mistake about two minutes into it), I realized that she was right.  Eric and I have a healthy happy daughter, a comfortable home with a working dishwasher and central air conditioning, a happy marriage (with a lot of snickering and giggles), and jobs that provide for our needs, give us the flexibility to share the care of our daughter, and are such that we are both able to sleep together in our own bed pretty much every night.

When I'm actually living that life, it's easy to focus on the hard stuff--stuff like the sink that seems to magically fill itself up with dirty dishes all the time, the frustration that often comes when I'm trying to juggle Heather's needs, Eric's needs, my needs, and the needs of the opera company all at the same time, or even just the sheer exhaustion that I feel at the end of a particularly trying day.

But really, if I take the time to really look at all that our lives contain?

I have to admit, it's pretty darn dreamy.






Note to my cousin Tim:  Did you have a neighbor who has a son named Austin (we think) who recently moved with her husband to Cache Valley?  I don't know her name (Eric couldn't remember), but she told Eric that she was from Maryland and she had a neighbor who was a Mormon Bishop and she really liked him and his family.  Since Maryland is such a small, sparsely populated area, I naturally assumed that you would be one of only four or five extra friendly likable Bishops.  So, were you her neighbor?

1 comment:

Tim said...

There are, to my knowledge, 60 bishops (and another three dozen or so branch presidents) scattered across Maryland's eight mighty stakes of Zion. (By my math, that works out to about one bishop for every ten Republicans.)

I don't think we've had any neighbors move to your neck of the woods lately. It's good to know that there are at least two of us who are likable.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...