Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Golden Gate

Before we move on with "project summer scrapbook", I feel compelled to finish up with the San Francisco pictures.  I was going to put them all in one agonizingly long random SF post, and I started to do just that, but I just couldn't manage it.  So, I'm going to break it up bit by bit, but I'll probably be posting pretty close to every day until I get them all up to my satisfaction.  I'm thinking I can do it in three, maybe four posts.


I know, I'm just too kind.


Anyway, on our last full day in San Francisco, Eric and I walked across the Golden Gate Bridge.


Almost.

Photobucket

What really happened is that we had a minor lapse in communication.
(We've only been married 4 years you know.  I'm expecting that this kind of thing will be happening for at least another year or two--right?)

Photobucket
I thought we were going to walk across the bridge to Sausalito.  Eric thought we were going to walk on the bridge partway and then come back.  Our mis-communication became clear about 1/4 of the way across the bridge when Eric asked if we should maybe turn back now.  I wasn't all that keen on the idea, and after some discussion (and a slight amount of feminine pouting), we continued on.

As it turned out though, we decided to turn around somewhere between 3/4 and 9/10 of the way across.  The walk was definitely giving us a nice view of the bay, but all the cars whizzing by made it a less than relaxing stroll.  We couldn't really talk over the roar of the engines, and worst of all, there were these bikers that kept wanting a piece of our path (the nerve) which made it so we couldn't even hold hands.  Sigh.

So, we gazed off at our sought after destination (and I made a promise to myself that the next time we were here we'd take a ferry and explore Sausalito once and for all), turned around, and started back.  On the way back, we tried to guess at what point in the bridge it was that Magneto had broken it apart and moved it over to Alcatraz to save all mutantkind from being cured by Worthington labs.  (Yes, I know it didn't really happen.  All the same, it was fun to try to guess.)
Photobucket
Eric bought me these glasses in Chinatown.  Eric has a thing about knock-off sunglasses.  These are supposedly Prada, but for $10 a pair, I'm kind of doubting it.  They are my favorite sunglasses however. 
Photobucket
Here's where we were when we turned around.

Photobucket
Another of the shots that drive me crazy when other people take them.


Photobucket
Carved on the railing around the place where we turned back.  I thought it was cute.
(It's tiny--I had to zoom zoom zoom in with the camera to get it this big.)
Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket
A nice Dutch couple took this picture of us on our way back after I offered to take their picture.

Once we got back to the mainland, we took a bus to the greatest sandwich shop the world has ever known, where Eric ordered a new one from the offerings (the Willie Brown Bird) and I stuck with my old favorite (the Parma).  Then we strolled down to North Beach in a (sucessful) search  for some gelato, which we ate as we walked the hour or so back to our hotel.

A delightful experience, miscommunication and all.



1 comment:

JJ said...

Prada or not...you look fabulous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...