Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Another Round-Up, July Edition

Well, it's that time again.  I hereby present to you another installment of "things Charlotte has found in magazines and on the internet that she wants to be able to find without having to Google them."  


Read on--or feel free to click off and check back another day.  


From the Web:

I'm completely inspired by this woman and her freezer meals.  She makes it look so easy, and now that we're the proud owners of a deep freeze, I think I just might be ready to venture back into the freezer meal fray.


Update:  I DID venture back into the fray.  I'm lovin' it!


I have a pump of foam soap from Bath and Body Works that I just love.  However, I'm not a big fan of Bath and Body Works Prices.  So, when it's all gone, I think I'll try this method of refilling it.

I'm hoping for a bumper crop of tomatoes in a month or so.  If that happens, I'll be clicking back to this post to refresh my memory on all the great things that I can do with my tomato harvest.



This cake looks divine, and not too hard to make.  Maybe I'll make it for my next "fasting reward" treat.

UPDATE:  I made it.  It was delicious!  However, I felt guilty enough about all that is in it that I'm not going to put it in the 3-ring binder of recipe joy.  I know my limits and this cake is just too tempting to have the recipe that easily accessible.  

I'm not sure whether or not I'll end up doing one of these "get my button" deals, but I've always wondered how.

Someday I want to try this cucumber punch.

I like this idea--weaving using a hula hoop to make a round rug.



Molten Chocolate Cake--from a Crock Pot.  Katie says this dessert took like 5 minutes of actual work.  I'm all over that.  (It might have to wait until the next Fast Sunday though.)

Some of these ideas are genius, particularly the ketchup bottle-come-pancake batter dispenser one and the store your sheet sets inside of a pillowcase one.  (although, now that I think about it, putting the pancake batter into the ketchup dispenser is kind of a pain, and probably more work than I want to do.)

I love putting wreaths on my door.  This one looks particularly fun, and something I might be able to manage . .  if I only had a collection of seashells.



Ever since my mom and I went to Rome together all those years ago, I've had a love affair with Margherita Pizza.  The California Pizza Kitchen Version is a passable imitation, but I'm interested to try out this recipe (with fresh garden tomatoes of course!) to see if it's worth the extra work.


I like some of these tips (from India) on Home Remedies for Common Ailments.  Particularly the one for dark circles under the eyes, and the one for treating light burns.



I'm forever on the hunt for "the" chocolate chip cookie recipe--the one that I will love forever.  I thought I had it in my mom's knock-off Mrs. Fields recipe, but my tastes have changed since my childhood, and that one isn't doing it for me.  So, perhaps I'll try this one and see if it's the new winner.

And here's another one to try:


Or, maybe this one:

I love putting wreaths and other decor on my door, and I especially love this one.  Will I ever get around to making it?  Probably not--but it sure is fun.

Ever since we painted rocks, Heather's been mad to do more painting in the backyard.  I think I might try this next time, since apparently these paints wash out of clothes easily, (unlike the acrylics we've used for the rocks).

I'm forever on the lookout for Star Wars themed things.  This woman put on a whole Star Wars party for her son, complete with wookie cookies, Little Leia Cupcakes, and (my personal favorite) a garbage masher cake!
Now, we all know I'm not going to actually take the time to make this anytime soon, but it's still kind of fun.


Ali has complied an excellent list of a whole bunch of blog link parties all over the internet.  You can find that here.
Jam Hands



Speaking of jam, I like this printable to be used to turn a jar of homemade jam into a gift to be envied.  Always fun.



I have white blinds in my kitchen just like this lady.  I think I'll try her little tip of using rubbing alcohol to get them clean from the dirt and grease than inevitably find their way there.

I want to try this recipe for black bean brownies.  We'll see if they pass the Charlotte muster test.





And from the various magazines(and other printed matter) that I peruse :


To easily clean your microwave oven, place 1 cup water and 2 Tbs lemon juice or baking soda in a bowl and place in the microwave.  Heat on high until the mixture boils, then let it boil for 5 minutes so the steam accumulates on the walls and door of the oven.  Remove the bowl and wipe down the interior.  (From Mary Alice Warren in Waco Texas, by way of the back of an advertisement for Designer Checks.)


To clean the drip pans from your electric cooktop, spray them liberally with oven cleaner, and then place them in a plastic garbage bag overnight.  In the morning, take them out and wipe with a paper towel.  Then wipe again with a damp rag.  (From Tena Atford in New Market, Alabama--also via Designer Checks Advertisement.)


To clean bathroom and kitchen drains, pour 1 cup of baking soda into drain, then 1 cup of vinegar.  When it starts to foam, flush the drain with hot water.  (Taste of Home Magazine)


To freeze herbs:  Chop them and fill the sections of an ice cube tray with them.  Then, carefully pour water into each herb-filled compartment and freeze.  (I've got basil, cilantro, and spearmint in my container garden out back, I'm hoping to be able to salvage that bounty for the winter.) (Better Homes and Gardens)


More herb care:  Don't feel guilty about taking herbs from your garden to use.  Grabbing a pinch of this and a pinch of that when cooking keeps plants bushy and compact and encourages new shoots.  (Better Homes and Gardens)


Uses for Fresh Dill:  Enhance seafood salad dressings, eggs, chickens and soups.  For a quick side, add some finely chopped dill leaves to plain yogurt and toss with cucumber slices.  (Better Homes and Gardens)


Uses for Fresh Basil:  Lends itself to Italian, Mediterranean and Thai cooking quite well.  Is good with tomatoes, eggplant, squash, spinach, zucchini and other mild vegetables.  It also enhances poultry stuffing and pasta sauces.  (Better Homes and Gardens)


Some eyecare dos and donts:  If you have an eye infection and use steroid drops, they might make the redness look better, but the infection could get worse--even to the point of having to have an eye removed.  Also, Pinkeye isn't always benign.  A number of patients end up with light sensitivity and even vision loss.  Many physicians treat it with antibiotics which won't help if the cause is a virus.  At the Optometrists, they do a rapid test for adenovirus, and if that's the cause they treat it very differently than if the cause is bacterial.  (Readers Digest)










9 comments:

Mom C said...

Lots of fun stuff. I like basil on spinach (fyi)and dill on about anything. The balloon wreath is too cute. I can see it on your front door. I too have a foaming handsoap dispenser that I would love to refill. I'll have to try that.

Maegan said...

This Is Doug. Maegan has made a wreath for just about any occasion including that ballon one which apparently is put on our front door on birthdays. So if you have wreath questions she is a pretty good resource.

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Well thanks for the shout out and it works really great with an old tube sock over your hand. Did not know that about pink eye. With kids we see that around her every once in a while.

Natalie said...

Thanks for the shout-out on my freezer meals! So happy to hear it got you inspired to start up again!

Snowflakes & Dragonflies said...

Thanks for the shout out on my foam soap refill! You found some great things out there - I'm going to follow you and see what else you find!

Carmie of the Single Nester said...

How sweet! Thank you for featuring my seashell wreath.

Janet said...

Thanks for featuring my jam printables Charlotte. :) You've listed a lot of things here I'd like to try as well!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Thanks for including my mud cake. I want to make one of those colorful wreaths too!

Alia Dalwai said...

Hi Charlotte!

Thanx for being such a dear and featuring my post 'Home Remedies for Common Ailments'. You are very kind! I love the other features too. I loved Katie's Molten Chocolate Cake--from a Crock Pot and I looooved the recipe for Margherita Pizza. I'm so gonna try it out! Oh, and the Jam Jar printables-How cute, eh? And ofcourse, I have to try the Black Bean Brownies!
Thanx again!
Loads of love,
Alia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...