Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Roundup for June

We're a little heavy on the homemade bath and body works stuff today. I don't exactly know why. Sometimes things just work out that way I guess.







(These would be good for teacher appreciation gifts, "thank you" gifts, or just for random fun.  Pls, it looks pretty darn easy.)

 Now that I'm a master of homemade yogurt, I might want to try my hand at homemade butter.  
Delusional?  Only time will tell.  
(Or maybe it won't tell.  Who knows?) 


I've heard of making ice cream in a ziploc bag, but haven't ever done it.  Now I have the instructions to follow if I decide I want to go for it.  


Fizzy Bath Biscuits 
(some of you might be getting these for Christmas this year)


Along those same lines, 
Lavender Sugar Scrub
Also Vanilla and Peppermint 
Also Lemon 

And as long as we're cleaning and pampering,
 Soap Balls




Now, from the "I read it in Reader's Digest" File:

To get rid of robocalls, press the pound key or the star, pound, and zero keys at the same time.

For directory assistance, dial 800-FREE411 or 800-CALL411, instead of your cell phone's 411 service.  Much much cheaper.

CPR guidelines have changed.  Now instead of doing the classic push-and-breathe, the American Heart Association recommends a hands-only method.  That's part because in this day and age, people are much more likely to be willing to give CPR to a stranger if they don't have to worry about germs from a stranger's mouth, and part because when a person collapses there's actually enough oxygen in the blood that you don't need to breathe for them.  What the person does need is someone to keep that blood circulating to protect the rest of the body.  For more information go to the handsonlycpr site here.

Studies have shown that CT scans are responsible for a huge number of cancers in the U.S. every year.  (According to Robert Wachter, MD, a patient safety expert and chief of hospital medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.)  In light of this, radiologists throughout the country are recommending that you keep a record of your X-rays, CT scans and other radiation tests and alert your doctors if you think they're requesting a test you've already had.  

3 comments:

Jake said...

I agree we get too many CT scans in this country and I'm pretty sure they contribute to cancer (or will in the future), but I have yet to see the actual studies touted by Dr Wachter, just that he says studies have shown CT scans to be responsible for these cancers. I'm interested to see what these studies consist of because for the life of me I can't see how a cause and effect study of testing radiation could ever get by the FDA and correlation studies are worthless.

Charlotte said...

That makes sense. To be honest, I take anything science related that I read in reader's digest with a grain (or three) of salt. I mean, it's not like it's scientific american, is it?

Melissa @ Happy Quilting said...

And with all those advertisements nowadays who can believe anything coming out of there. Every time someone mentions RD I envision Grandma with her envelope of advertisements that she ripped out and was sending back to the publisher.

This is Jake BTW I'm just too lazy to sign out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...