Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I did just watch "Food Inc." and read "The End of Overeating" though, so really, all bets are off.

Today I discovered that it's just as cheap to purchase rotisserie chicken from Sams Club as it is to buy the whole uncooked chicken.  The whole chickens were 89 cents per pound in groups of two, which ended up being between $10 and $11 for the both of them.  The rotisserie guys were $4.99 each, so two of them were $9.98.  So, I bought two rotisserie chickens, we had about 1/4 of one of them for supper, and I threw all the rest in a stock pot with carrots, onions, dried celery, and some spices for an hour.  A little bit of straining and chopping, and now I have six quart-size freezer bags full of shredded chicken, and a stock pot full of broth in the fridge.  Tomorrow morning I'll scoop the fat of the broth and put what's left in quart-size freezer bags for future use too.

It feels so good.  

Looking back over the past few months, I'm feeling pretty domestic about myself, a little health-nut-ish, and even perhaps a little bit pioneer-y.  I've made jam twice, and made Greek yogurt more times than I can count.  I learned to make chicken stock.  I've chopped and frozen onions, and even pureed cauliflower, which I sneak into our scrambled eggs and potato and cream of broccoli soup, adding a bit of extra fiber and vitamins to our diet without anyone being the wiser.  (But mom, I will absolutely draw the line at bananas and/or wheat germ in the waffles!)

Back in April, Eric and I took some of our tax return money and purchased a deep freeze, which has changed everything for me.  I'm a sale watcher these days, knowing that if I find butter or meat or frozen veggies for a good price, I have the room to stock up a bit without having a food avalanche every time I open the freezer.

(Just imagine with me for a minute just how good that feels.  Reeeaaallll Good.)

I celebrated the freezer purchase by taking the advice of some of my friends (and one of my brothers) and buying the Bountiful Baskets multi-grain bread, as well as the whole wheat stuff.  In the past I had been leery to buy because they come in 5-loaf bags, and with no freezer space, I just couldn't see the three of us eating that bread before it had a chance to spoil or go stale.  Not a problem now though.  I gotta say, I love that bread, and at $2 a loaf, 50 calories a slice, and whole grain nutrition practically bursting from every bite, I feel really good about it all. Heather's a big fan as well.  At pretty much exactly the same time I started buying Bountiful Basket bread, Heather started becoming a bread eating girl.  As in, Heather now pulls chairs over to the microwave, climbs up counters, pulls bread bags down, opens twist-ties, and eats slices of bread completely naked (the bread, not Heather), and without me knowing a thing.  Coincidence?  I think not.

The other day, Heidi was teasing me, asking me if I was turning into Layne.  I laughed, and assured her that I would not be making my own cheese or starting a goat-raising enterprise anytime soon (by which I mean not anytime in this lifetime).

Layne totally  made this cheese.  I totally lifted this picture from her blog without asking her.  I think she'll forgive me, but I'm not positive on that.  Check back here in a few weeks.  If the picture is still up, then I think it will be safe to assume that I'm in the clear.   


Not that I don't admire Layne.  I do.  I'm just pretty sure that I don't have that kind of dedication in me at this point.  Baby steps, you know?  Baby steps to health and wealth.  Geesh.  I should write a book.  That title alone would guarantee a best seller.



1 comment:

Bamamoma said...

love the title of your book. Can I write the forward?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...