Monday, June 20, 2011

the best nest

One of Heather's favorite bedtime storybooks is The Best Nest by P.D. Eastman.  Probably every two weeks or so, Eric and Heather will snuggle on our old green couch, reading about Mr. and Mrs. Bird and their search for a home that will satisfy Mrs. Bird's every whim, while all the time Mr. Bird is perfectly content with the nest he has.

My favorite part of the whole thing is hearing Eric's measured voice, reading the words,

"I love my house, I love my nest, in all the world, my nest's the best."

When it's my turn to read (which is pretty infrequently), I always sing that part, and Heather always gets after me, telling me that "That's not a singing part, mom!"

It is though.  It is absolutely a singing part, if you ask me.

Several months ago, I was contemplating making a list (and perhaps posting it here) of all the things that I loved about our townhome.  I'd had two close friends move into brand spanking new homes, complete with backyards, garages, decks, pristinely clean carpets, and that new paint smell; and as happy as I was for them, I'll admit to being just the tiniest little bit envious of their new digs.

As it turned out, I made a mental list (including things like not having to remember when garbage day is, being able to clean our entire house in a matter of two hours, having much less space in which to search for wayward shoes, and especially our oh-so-affordable mortgage), and that was sufficient enough that I never got around to making the physical list.

(And, let's be clear here--I have no room to complain.  I've been in homes where three generations of a family were sharing a two bedroom apartment.  Grandparents sleeping every night in the hide-a-bed in the living room, a walk-in-closet turned into a baby room.  I think I can handle my home just fine, thank you very much.) 

Lately however, it's a whole different story.  I'm not sure what has changed, if it's been something inside of me or something outside of me, but for the past month or so, I have been absolutely in love with our nest, and with my life in general.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the two other birds that share that nest and that life with me.

Photobucket


4 comments:

Bamamoma said...

I think it has EVERYTHING to do with that old green couch. LOL! Ahh, if that couch could talk (you and I would both be in trouble).

Nice post, thanks for sharing.

Kala said...

I LOVE that you are happy where you are at. Happy Home to you!

Harmony said...

Way to be content! I aspire to that, especially when it comes to my home. :-)

amy greenway said...

This book has been Cecily's pick at least 4 times a week lately. I just read it tonight in fact.

My mom always sang the "I love this house..." part so I always sing it to the same tune she did. 3 against 1. Eric's wrong.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...