Tuesday, May 03, 2011

kicked up indeed

How does Fast Sunday go for all the rest of you Mormons out there? 

Fast Sunday is rough for me.  Part of it is that as the only non-type-1-diabetic baptized person in our household, I am also the only fast-er.  Part of it is that growing up, somehow I got it in my head that the rule for fasting was that you fasted from when you woke up in the morning until you got home from church, rather than the recommended (and oh-so-much-more-difficult) two meals or 24 hours.   Part of it is (let's be honest) my attitude.  Like many of you, I've found that when I go into it with a humble heart, an attitude of sacrificing, service, and gratitude, those 24 hours almost fly by, and net me a contented, filled-in-my-soul-rather-than-my-stomach-feeling. 

However, all too often, I let Fast Sunday sneak up on me, neglect to have a thoughtful prayerful at the beginning of my fast, and spend the next 24 hours (though I have been known to cheat and do the two meal thing, managing to have supper on Saturday at 8:00, followed by supper on Sunday at 4:45) with a disfigured (sad) face, each moment thinking of all the delicious food I could be eating. 

Now, I should warn you that this post is actually quite a bit more fluffy that those first two paragraphs would indicate.  Someday, I think I'll write a post on fasting, how meaningful the practice has been to me at different times in my life, how certain I am that it is a true principle, how grateful I am that it is something I can do.  Today is not that day.  Far from it, in fact.

No, today is the day when I share with you the recipe for the dessert that I made as a reward for successfully enduring another Fast Sunday.  Courtesy of "Kicked Up Brownie Mix Recipes" on squidoo.com, I give you:


Peanut Butter Frosted Brownies
(or as we've decided to call them, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups in brownie form)

Note:  There was no way I was going to make these with 2 packages of brownies in a jelly roll pan.  Are you kidding me?  None of us have that kind of willpower around here.  I have some pouches of brownie mixes that make about half the amount of brownies as a regular box mix.  So, I used that, and then divided all the other ingredients on the recipe by 4.  That was a little tricky at times, but it worked out all right.  Oh, and I used the "cake-like" brownies version.

Bake 2 packages of brownies in a 15" x 10" jelly roll pan as directed on the brownie mix package. While the brownies are still warm, spread 1-18 oz jar of peanut butter on top of them. (The peanut butter spreads easier if you microwave it for 2 minutes at 50% power. Give it a vigorous stir and then spread it on top of the brownies.) Chill the peanut butter covered brownies in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
10 large marshmallows
1/4 cup cocoa
1 package powdered sugar (16 oz)

In a large saucepan, cook the butter, milk and marshmallows over medium heat until they are all melted together. Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa powder. Mix in powdered sugar a little at a time until the frosting is smooth and has a spreadable consistency. Spread chocolate over the peanut butter layer. Place pan back in the refrigerator and cool an additional 20 minutes before cutting into squares.



If you're a peanut butter and chocolate kind of person, you'll be praising my name within seconds of your first bite of these babies.  Trust me.  

This image also courtesy of Kicked Up Brownie Mix Recipes.  My brownies weren't nearly this photogenic.  They were still absolutely delicious though. 








9 comments:

Tasha said...

You know, it wasn't until I was married that I heard anyone talk about 24 hours of fasting. All I have ever heard from general conference pulpits is two meals - which is also the monetary amount of the fast offering we are requested to offer. In fact, I just looked it up again on the lds website and this is what it said.

"The Church designates one Sunday each month, usually the first Sunday, as a day of fasting. Proper observance of fast Sunday includes going without food and drink for two consecutive meals, attending fast and testimony meeting, and giving a fast offering to help care for those in need.

A fast offering should be at least the value of the two meals not eaten. When possible, we should be generous and give much more than this amount.

In addition to observing the fast days set aside by Church leaders, we can fast on any other day, according to our needs and the needs of others. However, we should not fast too frequently or for excessive periods of time."

I don't know where the 24 hours came into play and this is a HUGE struggle for me for basically the same reasons you indicated. But I figure if this is the guideline of the church, this is what I will observe until I hear differently :)

JJ said...

Charlotte, you are fabulous! I'm sitting at my computer chuckling to myself. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who makes yummy desserts on Fast Sunday. This month it was double chocolate chip cookies.

Donna said...

Shouldn't these have been in my May Day package?

Jake said...

Fasting became so much easier after the LOTR movies came out. Sometimes I add brunch to breakfast and second breakfast just for good measure.

Harmony said...

Jake's comment made me laugh out loud. :-)

Amanda said...

Yeah those look really good. I've got no willpower to sweets lately (can I blame extra estrogen?) but Rich LOVES Reese's and PB and chocolate. I'm going to have to try these soon.

Camille said...

So... are you saying you're going to make these for our next game night? Because I'm ready. I've got some great new lines of praise down.

Charlotte said...

Well, Heather was planning to make some for her fairy god-mother (Also known as Dorothea) for Mother's Day this weekend. Maybe she'll share with you??

(But yes, I can make them for the next game night as well.)

deutschlehrer said...

fast sunday is maybe the hardest commandment for me--aside from the commandment to be humble--for obvious reasons, right? ;-)

For me the only time a fast really works is on non-fast-Sunday-fasts, when I can get away with not telling anyone I am fasting. Just the thought that it might be Fast Sunday immediately makes my stomach growl.

I think I will go grab some lunch now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...