Sunday, April 03, 2011

on messages and exceptions and responsibilities

A few days ago, I read a blog post.  At the time, I didn't think much of it, but as I listened to General Conference this weekend, there have been a few times that some of the things stated in the post came back to me. 

I've found it interesting, helpful, comforting, and even inspired. 

Here are a few tidbits from the post:


"I generally struggle with Conference primarily because I "trifle with the words" that are spoken. I'm often listening just with my ears. Part of me is concerned with what someone I know might be thinking of a particular talk. Sometimes I'm thinking of who I think needs to hear this talk. "

"It has been helpful for me in the past to read through part of a talk given by Elder Oaks at a CES fireside in May, 2005."

"A message given by a General Authority at a general conference—a message prepared under the influence of the Spirit to further the work of the Lord—is not given to be enjoyed. It is given to inspire, to edify, to challenge, or to correct. It is given to be heard under the influence of the Spirit of the Lord, with the intended result that the listener learns from the talk and from the Spirit what he or she should do about it." (Dallin H. Oaks)


"As a General Authority, it is my responsibility to preach general principles. When I do, I don’t try to define all the exceptions. There are exceptions to some rules. But don’t ask me to give an opinion on your exception. I only teach the general rules. Whether an exception applies to you is your responsibility. You must work that out individually between you and the Lord." (Dallin H. Oaks)

"I know that as I go into this weekend, I need to focus on what the Lord is trying to teach me through the Holy Ghost. I need to focus on what I need to do differently as a result of the things that I will learn through the conference. I need to worry less about what someone else might think about a talk or how I might take offense at what is said. I hope to be able to hear what I need to to progress and improve. Perhaps someone else might benefit from some of the things that I have been thinking." (Kevin L.)

Here's a link to the whole post.  It's worth a read, in my opinion. 



(It actually kind of reminds me of Jeffrey R. Holland's talk on Sunday afternoon.)







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...