Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fabulous Forty - "the loot"

Question: How long can Charlotte milk her birthday in blog posts?  
Answer:  One more time.  


What follows is a parade of my birthday presents.  It's gonna be kind of boring.  Don't feel like you have to read the whole post.



What?  

Still here?  

Well, okay then.  Let the parade of presents begin!


My family is a little crazy about the Disney musical, Newsies.  Crazy enough that they (notice I didn't say "we") break into Newsies songs and modified (very modified) dances sometimes.  So, not being able to find a Mary Poppins Broadway songbook, Becca gave me this Newsies songbook.  How cool is that? 
Photobucket
Having the music actually motivated me to give the movie another chance (the first time I saw it I thought it was boring and cheesy), and I spent much of March driving around Logan with the Logan Library Newsies Cast Recording going full blast while I sang along to the very peppy and not the least bit cheesy songs.

My favorite?  The song where they're singing half-heartedly, "What if the Delancy's come out swingin, will we hear it?", and then this GIANT, RICH, FULL, BEAUTIFUL children's chorus comes out of nowhere and sings, "When you've got a million voices singing, who can hear a lousy whistle blow?"

(I get a little choked up at that sometimes, truth be told.)

I also got a copy of the DVD from the library, and spent a week watching it (twice), as well as the "making of" feature, the "what really happened in history" feature, and a couple of previews for "coming" Disney attractions.  (Really important stuff like Little Mermaid Return to the Sea, and The opening of the Disney vault for the new and improved Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.) 

Some of you will (silently) mock me for this, but I have to say that when it comes to Newsies, I'm a changed woman.  Maybe it's because I'm a mom now and the thought of a bunch of kids roaming the streets of New York, having to scratch out a living for themselves just tugs at my heartstrings.  Whatever it is, I'm a Newsies-ite these days.

Next quest, break open the songbook and see if I can transpose those weird guitar chords into chords that I can actually play.  Stay tuned.


Photobucket
This is a present that I bought for myself.  It's an oil sprayer, so now I don't have to buy PAM anymore.  I've used it a few times, and highly recommend it.




Wanna guess what this is?
Photobucket
I'll give you a hint:



See that white dresser on the right?  It's older than I am.  My parents bought it second-hand when they were first married, and it became my dresser when I was around nine or ten years old.  When I moved into my first un-furnished apartment, my parents drove it up to Logan for me, and I've used it ever since.  Suffice it to say, this dresser is nearing the end of its natural life. 




Enter the Ikea special.  As soon as Eric assembles it for me, I'm going to be the proud owner of a beautiful new dresser, complete with smooth rolling metal drawer glides.  Oh the luxury!  I can hardly wait! 

(I need to give a shout out to both my parents and Eric's parents for this dreamy dresser.  They both gave me a decent amount of money for my birthday, and I chose to spend it on the dresser.)
 Photobucket





Speaking of luxury, we have the final gift of the post, compliments of Eric J. Cantwell:
Photobucket
This salt cost around $30.  I know, right?  Thirty dollars for a 3.5 oz jar of salt?  What kind of birthday present is that?

I'll tell you.  It's a very good birthday present.  This salt makes nearly everything taste like a slice of gourmet joy.  We've had sprinkles of it on asparagus, beef, green beans, potato soup, hubbard squash, zucchini, popcorn, grapefruit, and a whole bunch of other stuff.  The grapefruit was basically a bust, but everything else was infinitely more flavorful with the magic of truffle salt on top.

I shouldn't be surprised.  The fact is, Eric is a masterful gift-giver.  He's terribly inventive, and he often gives me things that I would never think (or want) to get for myself, but he knows me so well, and ponders his options for months in advance, so he always comes up with a winner. Love it.

And with that, we conclude our tantalizing trip through the felicity that was my fortieth birthday extravaganza.  Thank you, to all who have suffered through all these posts.  I'll try not to inflict anything along these lines on you for at least another year or two.

Deal?




3 comments:

Bamamoma said...

hmmm, I'm looking forward to our next FHE and dinner at the thought of getting some truffle salt!

Awesome gifts!

Amy said...

newsies is one of my favorite movies, ever!! I've infected my children with Newsie's love even. We have all the songs memorized, and I gasped with delight at the NEwsies songbook. where in the heck did they find that?

Mom C said...

Since I doubt Becca will respond to this query, I will. She and I were browsing through the Cedar Music Store (formerly Munson's Music) waiting for inspiration to hit and voila, inspiration said Newsies. You get odds and ends at local stores. If we had gone with the intention of purchasing that particular item, I doubt it would have been there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...