Sunday, January 16, 2011

life just got even better, if you can believe it.

quirky 1-11
This image has nothing to do with the post.  I just typed in "better and better" into flickr, and this is one of the pictures that came up.  I liked it.   
It's courtesy of DVIDSHUB

So,as if it weren't enough that the audit is over, today I got another glorious present.

Remember back last summer when I tried to make chiles rellenos, and found that they were a whole lot of work, but that they were absolutely delicious?

We got Anaheim Peppers again in our Bountiful Basket this week, and I decided to try something else.  So, this time, I googled "chile relleno casserole", scrolled through the offerings, and tried one out.

I roasted and peeled the peppers yesterday, and we had the casserole today after church.  We invited Eric's parents over as well.

It was delicious.  Seriously, Eric said that he likes the casserole more than he liked the actual stuffed peppers of last time, and they were at least an hour less of work.  Beverly & Wayne were big fans as well.  

So, you want that recipe?

Here you go:



Copied from COOKS.COM


Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,150183-238198,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
1 (5 or 6 oz.) can evaporated milk
4 eggs
12 to 14 chilies or other lg. chilies, roasted & peeled
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. flour
3/4 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
3/4 lb. Cheddar cheese, grated
After greasing an 8 to 9 inch square pan, place half the chilies and cover with half the cheese. Add another layer of chilies, then another layer of cheese. Beat eggs, add milk, and baking powder, flour and salt. Pour on top. Bake 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.Serves 6-8.

My Modifications:  I used 10 Anaheim Peppers, and put them in a small-ish oblong casserole dish, rather than a 8" square pan.  I used a combination of Cheddar Cheese, Mozzarella Cheese, and Pepper Jack cheese, instead of the cheeses mentioned.  (I put all the Pepper Jack on one side of the pan, because Eric likes it extra-spicy, and Heather and I like it normal-spicy.  We were all happy.)

To roast the chiles, I followed the "oven method" and "clean and peel" directions here, and found that they worked really really well.  (Except, I had to roast the peppers for 8-10 minutes instead of the 4-5 minutes that they recommend.)

Enjoy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to whet your appetite, I've been working on a marathon post with all my favorite pictures that I took over the Christmas Cedar City Celebration.  It's going to be picture after picture of people most of you don't know, with explanations of all the mostly un-unique things that we did at Christmas this year.  I know you won't want to miss it!

(Oh--and there's more lions coming up soon!  This time we live vicariously in Jamaica!)

4 comments:

Jeri said...

Wahoo! thanks for sharing. I was wondering what to do with my BB peppers - thinking of your hours and hours of work I know the chiles rellenos were OUT!

I guess I know what I'll be making for dinner tomorrow night!

Charlotte said...

Awesome! I can't wait to hear how it works for you!

One thing--this recipe *says* that it serves 6-8, but the four of us adults polished off all but one serving. (Heather was being moody, and only had two bites, but that's par for the course with her at the moment)

That might be because I didn't have as many peppers as the recipe said to use, or it might be because everyone had seconds. But, just be aware of that.

:)

Melissa @ Happy Quilting said...

I am so looking forward to the picture marathon!!

Clara said...

This is a wonderful recipe. I make something very similar. I must add this to a must make dinner soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...