Friday, January 28, 2011

40

 quirky 1-11

So, lately I've been contemplating on the subject of my 40th birthday, which is coming up in March.  Specifically, I've been contemplating how I want to celebrate.

It used to be that turning one of the big decade-ages was tough for me.  (Well except for 10.  Turning ten was about as easy as easy could be.  I spent it in Disneyland.  Can you believe it?  Disneyland! Twenty was a little rough because I just didn't feel ready to leave the teens behind.  Thirty was hard because my life wasn't going at all according to plan, and that was discouraging.  But forty?  Forty is nice.  To my joy (and ever-continuing amazement), I'm heading towards forty in the enviable position of having my life pretty much exactly the way I like it*.  So, that's definitely something to celebrate if you ask me.

The question is, how to celebrate?  I've thought about doing a fancy dinner party where I cook some delicious meal for a few close friends, like Julie does for her thirtieth birthday in my flavor-of-the-month-favorite-movie Julie and Julia, but I'm not sure I want to go that far.  I mean, it sounds like a good idea, but how am I going to feel after I've been cooking in a hot kitchen with little Heather underfoot for four hours, and a sink full of dirty dishes?  Am I going to be up for a big celebration after all that? 

I've thought about doing the same thing that we've done for Heather's birthday the past two years, essentially inviting family and friends-that-are-practically-family over and having a very casual celebration that is all about love and not really about anything else.

I've thought about getting someone to watch Heather and getting Eric to take me away for a day date, or even an over-nighter, but Valentines Day is next month and our anniversary is in April, and so there are ample reasons for those kinds of activities then. 

I've thought about a lot of things, and to be honest, I haven't decided, and probably won't decide, until I have a week or two left before the big day.  And then I'll probably determine to do something that feels special to me but doesn't entail a whole lot of money or work, and I'll turn forty and I'll be happy because whether there's a big celebration or not, I'll have made it to forty, and I'll have a really good life, and that will all be something that is exciting and thrilling and happy.

One thing's for certain though.

There will be chocolate cake involved. 



*If I'm being truly honest, my life isn't 100% exactly the way I like it.  If it were exactly the way I liked it, I'd be a stay-at-home-every-day-mom instead of a stay-at-home Tues-Thurs-Sat-Sun mom, and Eric would have a job that he loved and that paid him around $85,000 per year with ultimate health insurance benefits and job stability while only requiring forty hours per week and no commute to speak of.  And, as long as I'm dreaming, I'd have another kid, maybe two, and I'd weigh thirty forty pounds less than I do, and I'd have chocolate brown eyes (like the kind I had as a kid, before the hazel genes took over), and a cleaning lady that would come in once a week to do all the deep cleaning that only gets done around here when my mom visits.

But, barring that life, I must say that my current life is pretty much exactly the way I like it.

Image courtesy of 3liz4

4 comments:

Donna said...

If you decide you want a big party, but you don't want to do any of the work (because it's your birthday and you shouldn't have to do any of the work), I can "help" Eric plan a party (like you "helped" Steve plan mine). And I'm pretty sure Heidi would be willing to help too.

Donna said...

Oh, and Camille makes yummy chocolate cake...so I can probably help arrange that too.

Bamamoma said...

Donna is absolutely correct. I'd be happy to make a fancy meal for a few close friends or to host a potluck for your many friends. I'd even be willing to invite my preschool class to help celebrate. :) Let me know!!!! Yippee!

deutschlehrer said...

my "friends" got me a book of brain games to keep my mind sharp in my advancing age. welcome to the 40 club (soon)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...