Monday, December 27, 2010

nothing random here, no siree.


In case you didn't get our Christmas Card this year* . . .

One dry warmish Saturday morning in November, I put on a little extra make-up, brought out some jaunty winter hats, and convinced Eric and Heather to put them on.  Then we marched out to the back patio in our Saturday morning finery, and took these uber-casual photos, which I was intending to use for our Christmas photo.

I have a theory on this--experience has taught me that those important family photos almost never turn out as beautifully as I want them to, and so for my Christmas card shots, I go casual.  That's because if it looks like we didn't take a lot of time on it, then I feel more comfortable with the imperfections (and if our clothes don't match, so much the better).  Besides, casual shots are easier, less stressful, more fun, and help me keep the Christmas spirit versus the for-heaven's-sake-why-doesn't-anyone-around-here-help-me-out-with-all-the-stuff-I-need-to-get-done-so-that-we-can-have-a-memorable-Holiday-Season spirit.

Getting back to our story--here are some outtakes of that fine morning:

Photobucket
(We used a tripod for these.)

Photobucket

(obviously.)


Here's the one we sent out:
Photobucket

But wait! 

Some of you are saying, "That's not the photo you mailed me, Charlotte!  What are you trying to pull here?"

Too true, too true.  Some of you received a different photo this year.

See, the day after this balmy November morning, we received our first real snowfall of the year.  Two days after that, Heather and I went out to play in it.

(Yes, Heather picked out her scarf by herself.  No, it's not wrapped around her neck.  Yes, Heather is two.  Yes, I'm picking my battles.  In case you're wondering, there are a plethora of battles from which to pick.)

quirky 12-10

Later that day, as I was going through the photos that I'd taken of the event, I loved one of them so much that I decided to make it Christmas Card worthy as well.

quirky 12-10


Then, I couldn't decide which photo I really wanted to send out, so I got a bunch of copies made of both.  So, as I was sending out the cards, I sent whichever one struck my fancy at the moment. 




Looking back, I just have to say that it's a good thing that I'm so on top of things, that I always have a plan, and that I stick with it all the time, don't you think?  I mean, how awful would it be if something as important as our Christmas greeting was left up to chance and whim?  I shudder to imagine it.



*This year I did the old standby of sending out a Christmas Card the day after I got a Christmas Card.  Next year I'll probably go back to the old way of sending them out to the whole list.

2 comments:

Heather Albee-Scott said...

All the photos are lovely Charlotte! We didn't even do a card this year, sigh. Happy holidays to the Cantwells from the Albee-Scotts!

Clara said...

Heather is an absolute doll! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...