Monday, November 08, 2010

the tale of the tiger lily (which is not exactly what I intended to write when I started this post)

So, for those of you who don't read We Are Corrys on a regular basis:

My brother (Jacob) and his wife (Melissa) share a family blog.  There they put stories of their kids and their lives, their thoughts, and their experiences.  You know, like a lot of family bloggers.  For example, Jacob recently put up some stellar hints about teaching a kid to ride a bike that, had they been around when I was a kid, just might have changed life for all the third graders at good old South Elementary.

TANGENT:
I received a yellow and green tiger lily bicycle for Christmas when I was in the first grade.  As it turned out, I didn't actually learn to ride that bike until I was in the 4th grade.  I've never been terribly coordinated, and that, combined with my strong aversion to pain and fear of experiencing it in any measure, caused my initial bike-learning experiences to be dismal failures, and that's putting it mildly. (That same aversion to pain later resulted in my not seeing a dentist for three years when I was in my early twenties, which then resulted in me having seven cavities filled in one month, but that's a story for another day).    So, I put the bike in the garage and left it there for three years.

That wouldn't have been a problem, but at my school, every year the third graders got to go on a class-wide bike hike in the spring.  I lived in dread fear of this day, knowing that my shameful secret would be exposed and I would be the object of ultimate ridicule for the rest of my life.

So, I did the only thing I could think of to do.  I prayed.  I prayed and prayed that somehow there wouldn't be a bike hike that year  (Looking back, it would have been a better idea for me to pray for help in learning how to ride that bicycle, don't you think?).  So, I probably shouldn't have been surprised when, for reasons that I never completely learned (although I'm quite certain that it had more to do with school liability issues than my bicycle disabilities), the 3rd grade bike hike was canceled that year, and for every year afterward.   

quirky 11-10
This is not me, but I used to have a coat like this, and my tiger lily was very similar to this bike.  I'm borrowing this picture from a person named Valerie Everett

And now for our anticlimactic ending to this little tangent:  The next year, I decided that it was ridiculous that I didn't know how to ride a bike, and I got my father to teach me again.  I then spent the next six years with that bike (well not that bike--you can only ride a tiger lily  for so long before you have to upgrade) as my primary means of transportation. 

Anyway, this post is long enough, so to get to my point . . .

Jacob and Melissa share a family blog.  However, about four months ago, Melissa started a spin-off blog from the regular blog.  It's called Happy Quilting, and it tells her quilting journey, complete with experiences, tutorials, helpful hints, and picture after picture of beautiful quilts. 

I am not a "happy quilter", nor do I think it is likely that I ever will be, but I've enjoyed reading Melissa's quilting blog so much that I've decided to do my own spin-off blog about crocheting.  So, if you're into that kind of thing (Jeff Packer, I'm talking to you!), you can check it out at Salutationscrochet.blogspot.com

(Helpful hint:  If you're into slippers, watch that space!  I've got a slipper extravaganza planned to go up there later on this week!  Huzzah!)

The real message of this post though is this:  If you happen to have a nine-year old who has yet to successfully ride a bike, take heart!  There's always hope!

(And see your dentist every six months.  Take it from one who knows . . . )




5 comments:

Melissa said...

I just love how your posts make me smile :)

Tasha said...

I love that when I read your blog, the thought process makes complete sense to me and I don't understand why you need to include the explanations. And that is how I know we are related - the tangent gene is very prominent in both of us :)

Robert said...

I can't believe that you are the reason that I didn't get to go on the 3rd grade bike ride!!!

deutschlehrer said...

How did you know I was so into crocheting?--but your link to the site is not working! how will I ever learn to make slippers at this rate?

Charlotte said...

Thanks for the heads up Jeff! It's fixed now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...