Tuesday, November 23, 2010

exactly what you've been hoping to read about--right here

quirky 11-10

So, awhile back, we found ourselves with some Brussles sprouts in our fridge.  I had tried Brussels sprouts for the first time in many many years a few months previously (follow that?), with disappointing results.

(Alas.)

But, this really short story has a happy ending.

(Hooray!)

This time around, I found a recipe for "Crunchy Sweet Brussels Sprout Salad".  I don't particularly care for the name, because to me, a salad is something that is served cold, and this concoction is served warm.  So, in my mind, I call this baby "Crunchy Sweet Brussels Sprout Delight". 

Whatever you call it, it's delicious.  Now that I know this little number, Brussels sprouts are welcome in our home anytime.

* * * 

And, as long as we're talking about Brussels sprouts recipes, you might be interested in this recipe for Brussels Sprouts Gratin, posted recently by one of my (second) cousins.  I haven't tried it (yet?), but I can vouch for Mary Ann's choices.  Everything I've made from her blog has been mmmm mmmm deee-licious.

* * *

As long as we're still talking about Brussels sprouts, here are some little known facts about said vegetable:

  • They contain high amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, and dietary fiber. 
  • They are believed to have potent anti-cancer properties (along with broccoli).  However, if you boil them, it removes some of those properties.  Steaming, stir-frying, and microwaving are all okay.
  • If you overcook your Brussels sprouts, they release a glucosinolate sinigrin, which has a sulfurous odor.   Blech!
  • There's a whole line of kids clothing named after Brussels sprouts.  (Does that seem weird to anyone else?  Next thing you know there will be a "Liver and Onions" outlet for child couture.)

And that's what I have for today. 







Picture of Brussels sprouts (Did you know that they grow like that?  I didn't) compliments of cbmd.
Speaking of that picture--what do you think about the multi-colored dishtowel?
Specifically, do you think it's crocheted?  I can't decide for sure.. 

3 comments:

Jeri said...

Love it! I too am new to the world of Brussels sprouts (thanks to BB) and I'm not in love - when I saw the picture and started reading the post, I thought you were going to tell about how you guys didn't like to eat them so Eric turned them into a little Christmas tree holiday decoration... (that would have been a great post too, just for the record)

my comment shows that NO, I did NOT know that is how these little guys grow. I thought it was an Eric original...
and YES, I think the rainbow cloth in the background is crocheted.

Melissa J. Cunningham said...

Very interesting. Don't love them, but will eat them. I like them with Parmesan cheese and butter. Very diet friendly =)

Melissa said...

Anti-cancer properties huh? Who tested that theory I wonder. No, sorry, I don't think I'll need my Chemo just give me some sprouts and my medical marijuana.

Sorry maybe a little too opinionated for quirkiness. Feel free to delete.

But at least I get to get Melissa in trouble by posting under her name and remaining anonymous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...