Thursday, October 07, 2010

perceptions

In case you didn't know, or haven't noticed, I'm about an inch taller than Eric.





Apparently, this fact is not lost on our little Heather.

Heather is currently in a phase where everything has to have a mommy and a daddy. We've gone to our local (very small) zoo a few times, and every animal there has to have a mommy & a daddy if Heather is going to approve. All Heather's toys have mommies and daddies, all photographs in books have mommies and daddies, and all of the knick-knacks belonging to Eric and I have mommies and daddies too.

Well, last night Eric pointed out to me that everytime Heather points out the mommy and the daddy in the animal kingdom (where they don't have gender-specific clothes or hairstyles that give it away), the mommy is ALWAYS the bigger of the two.

Tonight as we were reading the counting book during story time I did a test of that theory myself and found to my dismay that Eric is 100% correct.  

Me (Pointing to a picture of 10 different-size buttons): Heather, where is the mommy button?
Heather (Pointing to the biggest button):  Right Dare!

Me (Pointing to a picture of 8 different sized cars):  Heather, where is the mommy car?
Heather (pointing to the biggest car):  Right Dare!
Me:  Where is the daddy car?
Heather: (pointing to a smaller car) Right Dare!


This continued with the five kittens, the six cookies, and the four pieces of candy, but I think you get the general idea.  





Photobucket

Sigh. 

I may never shake that hermanota nickname (you'll have to click all the way to the end of this page to get to the story).

Unsurprisingly, Eric's not a real fan of this new development either.

We'll survive though.  Our egos may suffer a bit, but don't waste any tears on us.  We'll muddle through somehow.







p.s.-- if you're interested in (what in my completely unbiased opinion is) an excellent explanation of the purpose of Early Out in elementary school, and why Iron County residents do it on Wednesdays instead of Fridays, check out what my mom has to say here.  

I'm so proud of that lady.   

Photo courtesy of venadotuerto.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

I am in that same boat - I hate to break it to you, but the differences will become even more apparent when they can draw their families - I apparently am getting taller every year because Enoch's depiction in art work is now about at my shoulder.

Oh well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...