Monday, September 20, 2010

Wanderlust

quirky 9-10


A week or so ago, one of my brothers asked me what my ten favorite vacation places in the US were. I decided to post five of them here, with (hopefully) brief explanations of why I like them so much.

(I'd be especially pleased if you'd list your five as well, but since I've already got you on the hunt for stone lions, AND brushing up on your musicals for next February, I really don't feel like I can ask much more of you right now.)

I should note that we haven't done a whole lot of (as in any) family vacationing since the arrival of little Heather. So, the spots that I list here are places that I have enjoyed without children (and often without Eric as well).

Anyway, here they are, in no particular order:

San Francisco-Eric and I went here for our honeymoon, and then again for our "we're going to have a baby and this may be the last time we can live it up-moon". We both absolutely love it! Love the food (oh, the food!), love the parks, love the art museums, love the shopping, love the wide variety of people. Love to be able to be close to the water. San Francisco is an absolute treat.

New York City-If it wasn't so expensive to find a hotel here, I'd save my money and go back every two or three years. (Although--in staff meeting the other day, one of our Costume Administrators told me about a Days Inn that's only $100 per night or so--located around the Statue of Liberty. Can this be true? I'll let you know if I find out more details.) The Broadway shows are my very favorite of course, but I love Rockefeller Center, and riding the subway, and Central Park, and shopping, and especially especially all the people watching. So fun!

Disneyland/Disneyworld-I'll tell you a secret. People think Disneyland and Disneyworld are only for kids. Nope. Disneyland without kids is every bit as fun, and probably even more fun, because you have so much more freedom. Wanna stay up late and watch the light parade and fireworks? No biggie! Wanna skip the Snow White ride because the line is halfway down the street? Go for it! Of course, you miss out on the magic of watching a little girl or boy talk to Winnie the Pooh for the first time, and that is quite magical. It's not the only thing magical there though. There's plenty of magic to be found for us grown-ups.

New England in the Fall-This is just breathtaking. The one time I experienced this, I felt like I was living in a painting. I've spent nearly my entire life living within 10 minutes of one tree filled canyon or another, and I thought that fall leaves were fall leaves. Boy was I wrong.

Portland and Oregon areas close by-Love the waterfront, love the feel of it all. I did my first (and last so far) river rafting in the Deschutes River, and it was amazingly great in a semi-dangerous sort of way. Also--the Oregon coast? Absolutely beautiful. It's rocky and generally overcast, and cold, and unlike what I think of when I think of the coast, and it's uniquely beautiful.

(Runners Up: Washington D.C. and Chicago)
(A place I want to go before I die, but haven't made it yet: Glacier National Park)

And there you have it. Who needs Frommers or Fodors when you've got charlottelaughs, huh? Not you!

(You know I'm kidding, right? Anytime I go anywhere, I've got a Fodors or Frommers guide in my suitcase. Even when we went to Salt Lake last month, I had my Fodors Guide to Utah with me at all times.)







Vacationing Legos picture found here.

5 comments:

corrie said...

You didn't say anything about the FOOD in NYC! AHHHH! That's why I loved it there. And now I will forever be unsatisfied and hungry...
So maybe don't eat the food.

I loved DC.

Have you ever been to Gettysburg? Read the book Killer Angels by Michael Shaara before you go and splurge for a personal tour guide. You could roll that into your DC trip. It's an hour away.

I agree about Disney. I haven't been there without kids, but we love it. My husband is willing to fork out the cash every year for a trip there and he doesn't spend easily.

Every time we visit my mum in Alberta we head to Waterton National Park which is the Canadian side of Glacier Nat. It's gorgeous there. Always windy, but beautiful.

Bamamoma said...

I'm happy to say I made the top 5 (twice). I'd have to agree with your list (although I haven't been to SF since I was 13 - wait, did I go then?). I can't believe your trip to Alabama didn't make the cut though... I mean really. :) Oh, and then there was that amazing trip to Vegas. I shall stop now.

deutschlehrer said...

Great to see a German title to one of your posts. My list would look different. In no particular order:
-Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
-The Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio
-Long Beach State Park at the mouth of the Columbia River in Washington State
-Hiking in the Boulder Mountains of Utah
-Washington DC

Camille said...

Oh, we SO should vacation together. Everything you just said is my favorite place to go, EVERY day!

Michelle said...

Waterton Park is my favorite place ever! You have to go through Glacier to get there so it has become a favorite place too. One year we found watermelon snow. It was awesome! Other favorite places on my list include the hill country of Texas in the fall and the Riverwalk in San Antonio.

A fun book I just found that you can add to your Frommer's is "Wild Weekends in Utah: An outdoor adventure guide",if you are the outdoorsy type.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...