Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On Being Cheerful and Standing Still

quirky 9-10



A scripture that has been on my mind, and particularly helpful to me lately:



"You know, brethren, that a very large ship is benefited very much by a very small helm in the time of a storm, by being kept workways with the wind and the waves.

Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."

Doctrine & Covenants, Section 123; verses 16-17


Today I'm trying extra hard to be cheerful, as I do what I can do. That's tricky for me sometimes.

. . . of course, I also have trouble with doing "all things that lie in [my] power."

. . . and then, there's the whole "stand[ing] still with the utmost assurance." That's not exactly my strong suit.

Huh.


Today, I'll work on being cheerful. That's a good start.





Special note for Laura & Heather, and anyone else who might be interested in a little LDS Church information: The Doctrine and Covenants is a book of scripture recognized in the Canon of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Basically, it's a book of the revelations that Joseph Smith received in the early years of the church. See, Joseph Smith was pretty young (and completely uneducated) when all that was happening, so as he would have questions as to how the church should be organized and run, he would ask God in prayer. Then God would answer him through revelation. In addition, some of the early members of the church would go to Joseph Smith, asking him to ask God what he (God) would have them do. God would answer those questions through revelation as well. All (or at least many--I really don't know if it's all of them or not) those revelations are compiled in the Doctrine & Covenants. Of course, it's a little more complicated than all of that, and I am no scriptorian or gospel scholar. But that's my oversimplified description of the book.


Ship Picture found here.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

That has been my goal for this school year.

Some days it is much easier than others.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...