Sunday, September 12, 2010

nature's mercy

How do you feel about gardening?

I don't do a whole lot of gardening, mostly because I don't have a whole lot of land (as in, I probably have five or six square feet total that's not covered up with cement.) Even if I did have a regular front or backyard though, I don't know how much gardening I would actually do. That's partially because I'm kind of lazy and I don't like being in the hot sun, and partially because I have a job that requires a lot of time and energy in the summertime.

But I do plant a container tomato garden. This year I was seized by a fit of delusion, and I planted my six tomato plants in April, thinking that I was living in Florida or St. George or California or something. They all froze (big surprise there), and so in early early June, I planted nine more plants, six in containers, and three where the tulips had just died off.

This year was probably my worst year ever as far as caring for those poor plants. I was swamped with a lot of things and I had a lot on my mind all summer long. The tomatoes suffered accordingly. Days would go by without them getting any water at all. Then, I'd look out the window, see their poor drooping leaves and rush out to give them a little refreshment. Three or four days later, the scene would repeat itself.

They managed though. I must have bought some tough tough tomato plants, or we must have had more rain this summer than usual, because last Sunday my little girl and I went out and picked our biggest ever harvest of tomato plants.

quirky 9=10

Wanna know the best part? There's still a whole bunch more out there, ripening.

Sometimes, my best, while not perfect, turns out to be good enough. Isn't it nice when that happens?

1 comment:

Melissa J. Cunningham said...

LOVE the new look of your blog! I don't garden either. Too lazy and it takes too much time. Oh well.

Your little girl is adorable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...