Sunday, September 05, 2010

Karma


quirky 9-10

One of my dad's favorite sayings is, "What goes around comes around."

In fact, you know that part in Karate Kid (the first one) where Ralph Maccio is talking to the girl he's hoping to love about her jerk of a boyfriend and he (Ralph, not the jerk boyfriend) tells her "What goes around comes around", and then she says, "Well, I'd sure like to be around when it does", and then he goes to the school Halloween dance in a shower costume and he dumps water on the boyfriend while he (the jerk boyfriend, not Ralph) is trying to do drugs in the bathroom, and as the jerk and his goons chase Ralph out of the gym he runs by the girl (Elisabeth Shue), and as she asks him what's going on, he yells,

"It's comin' around!"

(Remember that part?)

Dad and I just crack up at that part.

In fact, there was a certain race in my high school career where a certain runner from a certain other school who had spent the whole season trying to intimidate me by telling me that Cedar High (my school) just didn't have any good runners was (finally) passed up by a certain runner (which runner just might have been me), and as I passed her after two months of agonizing intervals and pain and hard hard hard work, my dad was standing there on the sidelines, cheering me on, and you know what he yelled to me?

"It's comin' around!"

I love that memory.

When I read this, it reminds me of that experience and so so so many more.





(Ally--if you ever read this, THANK YOU.)















Ally wrote this tribute awhile back, but I was in the middle of the staycation reveiw and just couldn't possibly break it up. You understand, don't you dad?

3 comments:

Melissa J. Cunningham said...

I LOVED this post! I totally believe in karma! What a great thing to remind me! Thanks, girlfriend!

Allyson Condie said...

Charlotte, Tasha sent me a link to your fantastic blog today and I am SO GLAD she did.

Oh my goodness, I loved this story about Coach.

And Charlotte, thank YOU for being a great example. I remember we would always ask for "Charlotte stories" at running and Coach would tell us about great races of yours and about other things you'd done.

Harmony said...

Loved Ally's tribute and yours. Dr. Coach was and is amazing, and all the more so because he wont admit it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...