Friday, August 06, 2010

I've been wondering if I could make these since December of 1993

LAST SATURDAY:

Scene: the living room

ERIC: So, what kinds of goodies did we get this week? (referring to the Bountiful Basket haul)

CHARLOTTE: Umm, the usual stuff, and then some mangoes, and some plantains, and a bunch of corn, and a whole bunch of peppers. Really, I don't know what we're going to do with all those peppers.

ERIC (brightly): You know what you should do? You should make chile rellenos. They are sooo good! Have you ever had them?

CHARLOTTE (thinking to herself, "Duh! I served a Spanish-speaking mission in California. Of course I've had chile rellenos!): Yup, I've had them. It seems like they're deep fried though, and they're a lot of work. I'm afraid that they're just not going to be worth the calories and effort.

ERIC (a little crestfallen): Well, what else are you going to do with them all?

CHARLOTTE: I don't know--roast them and put them in enchiladas or taco soup or chili or something I guess.

ERIC (with disappointment): Huh.

END SCENE

The weekend ends, the week begins. Tuesday comes around and due to a change in plans, Charlotte finds herself with about two more hours than she was expecting to have. Seized by a fit of spousal love, she does a little research on the internet, and finds a lower-fat recipe for Chile Rellenos. She then spends the next two and a half hours roasting peppers, peeling peppers, removing the seeds from peppers, stuffing peppers with mozzarella cheese (we didn't have any Monterey Jack), whipping egg whites, dipping peppers in flour and egg whites, frying peppers, and baking peppers. When it's all finished, Charlotte, Eric and Heather sit at the table to enjoy the fruits of all that labor.

quirky 8-10


CHARLOTTE: Okay, before we start eating, I just want you to know that these are a lot of work. They are so much work that I'm pretty sure I won't ever be making them again. This is the kind of meal that we're just going to have to get at a restaurant from now on.

ERIC: Really? Okay.

Charlotte and Eric dish the food up for themselves and for Heather, and begin eating.

pause for eating

CHARLOTTE (slowly): Huh. These are pretty good.

ERIC: You think so? I mean, I really like them.

CHARLOTTE (thoughtfully): Yeah, these are better than I remember them.

ERIC (with a glimmer of hope): Really? Well, they are pretty good.

CHARLOTTE (reluctantly): You know, these are good enough that I just might have to make them again.

ERIC (tentatively): Yeah?

CHARLOTTE: Yeah, I think so.

Charlotte thinks to herself, "But next time, you are going to help me do the work!"

Eric thinks to himself, "I knew if I could just get her to try these, she'd come around to seeing things my way!"

Heather thinks to herself, "They sure are quiet over there, and no one is giving me any attention at all! Maybe it's time for me to stand up in my high chair, and do a few big jumps. Yeah, that should do it!"

END SCENE

So, you want the recipe?

Okay!

Click here, and scroll down until you get to the recipe for
Chiles Rellenos al Horno.


(I used Anaheim Peppers, Dried Oregano, White flour, and Mozzarella Cheese instead of Poblano Peppers, Fresh Oregano, Whole Wheat Flour, and Monterey Jack Cheese).

(But otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly.)



Peeling chile image found here.
No, that's not my hand or my sink.
My sink is white.
Just fyi.









1 comment:

Tasha said...

Okay - since I have only used one of my chili's from last week, I think I am going to have to try this...I'm thinkin' Monday...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...